Here are 10 leadership steps you can take now to help you go from stagnant to magnificent, and turn mental goals into reality. —Jessica Styles
1. Write down a daily to-do list and hold yourself accountable.
2. Put a mentor “wish list” together and start recruiting a mentor ASAP.
3. Secure at least five seasoned professional allies who will introduce you to new ideas, give advice and provide resources.
4. Write down your last 10 mistakes and analyze each situation. Then, write a solution for each scenario as a way to learn.
5. Strengthen your skill set and knowledge by doing at least two productive extracurricular assignments each day, such as reading an article, having an intellectual conversation, joining a new organization or conducting industry research.
6. Refine your professional portfolio (resume, cover letter and examples of your work/accomplishments). If you don’t have a portfolio, get started creating one. (This can apply to any industry or profession.)
7. Take at least two new professionals out to lunch, for a drink or coffee as often as you can. This way you’ll continuously build and cultivate relationships.
8. Choose three professionals in your network per month and thank them by sending an “appreciation” card for supporting your professional endeavors.
9. Attend at least one to two events per month relevant to your field of interest.
10. Take at least 10 minutes of “me time” each day to sit in silence and meditate or pray. Ask for guidance and the work ethic, wisdom and patience to conquer your next challenge.
Jessica Styles is a professional coach and founder of The FAB Network, a consulting firm fostering career and social opportunities for students and professionals. Her company has developed a comprehensive Dept. of Education curriculum to educate students on professional development including resume writing, interviewing and career aspirations. Styles is also a public speaker for conferences and universities, and has been featured for her expertise on Fox News and New York’s Power 105.1.