*BACK TO BLACK HISTORY MONTH HOMEPAGE > CLICK HERE
On every single day of Black History Month this February, we will provide you with a daily fact that occurred on the same day in a past year in history.
Today’s Black History Month facts focus on the SCLC and the first black professional basketball team.
– On this day in 1818, Absalom Jones, the first African American Episcopal priest ordained in the U.S. , dies.
– On this day in 1982, the first African American performers, the World’s Fair Colored Opera Company, appear at Carnegie Hall.
– On this day in 1923, the first black professional team, “The Renaissance,” organized.
– On this day in 1957, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference was founded in New Orleans.
– On this day in 1970, the New York Stock Exchange admitted its first member, Joseph Searles.