*BACK TO BLACK HISTORY MONTH HOMEPAGE > CLICK HERE
On every single day of Black History Month this February, we will provide you with a daily fact that occurred on the same day in a past year in history.
Today’s Black History Month facts focus on Nelson Mandela and Whitney L. Young
– On this day in 1644, the first black legal protest in America passed by eleven blacks petitioned for freedom in New Netherlands.
– On this day in 1961, Robert Weaver was sworn in as administrator of the Housing and Home Finance Agency, highest federal post to date by a black American.
– On this day in 1971, Whitney L. Young died. He was named the Executive Director of the National Urban League.
– On this day in 1976, Clifford Alexander Jr is confirmed as the first black Secretary of the Army.
– On this day in 1990 Nelson Mandela is released from prison.