Everyone loves a little fun in the sun but too much time spent under those summer rays without the proper haircare routine, can leave your once beautiful beach hair in need of help.
To avoid the damage, BlackEnterprise.com caught up with LA Hair star and celebrity stylist, Kim Kimble, to talk her five tips for maintaining summer hair. She shares how you can keep your tresses manageable, stylish, and healthy in the warm weather.
Check out Kimbleâ€™s five healthy hair tips below:
1. Going natural during the summer is a great choice. It’s low-maintenance and it’s nice to give hair a break from the stress of chemical treatments especially when it’s going to be taking on stress from the heat and sun.
2. Speaking of the sun, it can not only be damaging to skin, but also to hair. Using hair products with SPF or wearing a hat or scarf when you are out in the sun is a must.
3. Rinse your hair both before and after swimming. If your hair is already wet, it is harder for chemicals, like chlorine, to latch on. And of course you want to wash out any chemicals and/or salt as soon as you can after swimming. If you do swim a lot, it might be worth it to invest in a shampoo specially designed to get rid of chlorine.
4. Box braids or other protective styles, like buns or braided updos, can be a nice change of paceâ€”especially when it gets really hot out.
5. If you feel like your hair is starting to feel dry or straw-like, indulge in a little extra TLC. Deep conditioning treatmentsâ€”look for a product with silk amino acidsâ€”can help damaged hair. Hot oil treatments are great (I love natural coconut oil). It will also help if you can avoid blow-drying or using heat on the hair.