5 Unique Dream Jobs
The ability to get up every day, do what you love to do, and when you want to do it, is a life most of us strive for. Whether you’ve come to a fork in the road or you’re a recent graduate unsure about what you want to do for a living, sometimes you have to create what you want to be part of.
With a little persistence, creativity, and courage to go against the traditional job- seeking approach, you can land the job of your dreams. Here are a few unique careers to get your creative juices flowing.
- Chocolate Taster – For most chocolate lovers this career is a dream come true. But don’t be fooled; you’ll need more than a love for chocolate to get hired. A recent job posting by Ghirardelli for a Chocolate Innovation Technologist includes a requirement for a B.S. in food science/food technology and culinary arts.
- Super Yacht Chef – Yacht chefs travel the world on luxurious private vessels cooking around the clock for the super rich. Between navigating foreign countries for local markets, yacht chefs are expected to experiment with exotic ingredients to create five-star meals.
During an interview with CNN, Efrem Leigh, director of recruitment agency Yachtchefs.com said, “The standards are incredibly high. You’ve got to be trained to at least a sous chef level to know enough about food and run a galley. If you’re just a cook, you’re not going to cut it.” CNN also reports that a super yacht chef earns from $6,500 to $13,000 a month.
- Documentary filmmaker – Do you have a passion for storytelling? If so, you don’t have to be part of a major Hollywood studio to make a blockbuster movie. Film festivals such as the American Black Film Festival and Sundance provide great opportunities for indie filmmakers to promote their films on a world stage. Take note: Raising money for your film project and getting people to agree to do the film can be a challenge. But take it from Ava DuVernay and Spike Lee, if you have a passion for it, the journey is worth it.
- Luxury Travel Advisor – Although most of us are comfortable searching online for budget-friendly deals, that isn’t necessarily true of the wealthy. Listed on Oprah.com as one of the happiest jobs in America, luxury travel advisors should be affiliated with a travel consortium like Virtuoso, an invitation-only organization focused on luxury travel. In addition to having a passion for travel and superb customer service, luxury travel advisors should be able to provide unique luxury experiences for their clientele.
- Hippotherapist – According to the American Hippotherapy Association, “hippotherapy refers to the use of the movement of the horse as a strategy by physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech-language pathologists to address impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities in patients with neuromusculoskeletal dysfunction.”
What’s your dream job? Leave me a comment below.