Each year the National Coalition for the Homeless designates the week prior to Thanksgiving as National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness week. This holiday season, are you prepared to make a difference in someone else’s life as well as your own?
NationalHomeless.org┬á has compiled several ways you can get involved and make a difference in your very own community:
- Organize a One Night Out Without a Home┬áevent and fundraiser in which residents spend a night outside to learn about homelessness.
- Host an educational forum┬áon hunger and homelessness. Invite individuals who have experienced homelessness, and ┬áservice providers to share their experiences.
- Organize a Food Stamp Challenge.┬áInvite community members and your local government officials ┬áto eat on a food-stamp budget for a week or a day.
- Organize a Living in a Car event in which volunteers take shifts living in a car for twenty-four hours in a public area to simulate how some homeless live while raising awareness about the plight of the homeless.
- Organize a drive to collect non-perishable items, such as food, hygiene products, clothing, blankets, books, and toys. Challenging the community organizations ┬áto compete for which group can collect the most donations.