Actress Tamala Jones Recounts Her Aneurysm Scare

A near-death experience inspired the skilled performer to be an advocate for healthy living

(Image: ThinkStock)

I really don’t remember anything other than my grandmother coming to get me from my apartment, and me laying in my old room at her house; waking up to use the bathroom and eat. That went on for like three months. The third month I was kind of feeling back to normal.

[My grandmother] took me to get shots of B-12, which I still get today, because B-12 really nourishes your nervous system and your brain is a giant nerve. So I tell people, get those B-12 shots, get yourself checked out, get a cat scan as part of your physical that you do once a year. Get everything checked out just to be on the up and up because, again, no one thinks someone 23 will have a brain aneurysm; and it’s hereditary in my family, so I always have to be careful.

I hid the fact that I had an aneurysm for a very long time. I was embarrassed and I just felt like no one needed to know because it made me look weak. Who would of thought someone my age, at 23, had a brain aneurysm? My friend’s sister was like 24 and died [from an aneurysm], [and] I’d been hearing about people dying from brain aneurysms. [But] once you get older and you’re in your 30s, all that stuff that doesn’t matter so much in your 20s starts to matter.

I had headaches for like three weeks. I took everything, and nothing helped—from sinus medicine to migraine medicine. I say that if you get it checked out right away when you have this headache and it’s continuously going and nothing works then you can save yourself. They can give you something to help you or they can remove it or whatever they need to do. But I felt like it was my duty as a survivor to speak about it.

I mention the aneurysm to anybody that I can. Whenever I have a platform for people there that are listening. Because it’s something that happened to me and something that can happen to anybody in this world, if you are given warning then you can probably save your own life. So, I tell anybody. It doesn’t matter why I’m there speaking. I always bring up health some type of way—I segue into having a brain aneurysm at an early age. Whether it’s your heart or your head or your legs or your arms, if it’s too much pain, the doctor’s the only place to go. Not staying at home and wondering if this is ever going to go away. I just thought it was selfish of me not to even say what I survived or what I felt.”

Pages: 1 2

37 Responses to Actress Tamala Jones Recounts Her Aneurysm Scare

1. Pingback: Actress Tamala Jones Recounts Her Aneurysm Scare » JK Consulting Group, LLC

2. Heidi M says:

Wow! It’s amazing Tamala survived it after everything she did right after the rupture. She’s very, very lucky.

Thank you for sharing her story. It’s vital we get the word out for people to get medical assistance.

3. Pingback: Tamala Jones Talks Her Struggle With a Brain Aneurysm « Urban Music, Fashion & Lifestyle at sosofresh.com

4. Pingback: Tamala Jones Opens Up About Her Battle With A Brain Aneurysm | Gossip Newsstand™ – Blog

5. Pingback: Tamala Jones sheds light on her battle with brain aneurysm’s « Bazaar Daily News

6. Pingback: Tamala Jones Survived a Brain Aneurysm

7. Pingback: Actress Tamala Jones Opens Up About Surviving A Brain Aneurysm | TractHer TrailHer

8. Pingback: Actress Tamala Jones Speaks Up About Her Hidden Brain Aneurysm « theJASMINE.BRAND

9. Pingback: Actress Tamala Jones Speaks on Struggles With Brain Aneurysm « #1 DraZ Pick

10. Pingback: Tamala Jones Reveals Her Brain Aneurysm Scare | POPSESSIVE.com

11. Pingback: Tamala Jones Opens Up About Her Battle With A Brain Aneurysm | Necole Bitchie.com

12. Pingback: Tamala Jones Tells of Brain Aneurysm and Urges Youth to Take Care of Health

13. Pingback: UPTOWN Magazine » Actress Tamala Jones Recounts Her Aneurysm Scare » UPTOWN Magazine

14. Pingback: Tamala Jones Reveals Her 14 Year Battle With A Brain Aneurysm | BlackThespian.com

15. Pingback: Who Knew She Had A Brain Aneurysm! | RobynSimone

16. Pingback: Tamala Jones Reveals Her Battle With A Brain Aneurysm | GBCWow

17. Pingback: Tamala Jones On Brain Aneurysm: Urges Youth To Take Care Of Health | Praise Cleveland - Praise 1300 Cleveland's Home for the Gospel Community

18. Pingback: Tamala Jones on Brain Aneurysm: Urges Youth to Take Care of Health | On The Record Magazine

19. Carli says:

The audacity of the producers on the show who couldn’t even recognize an emergency!!! They didn’t even bother to ask her what was wrong when she called. I cannot stand ignorant people. If you can produce a show you should know when someone is sick and needs to go to the hospital. They set themselves up for a lawsuit too by knowingly throwing a coat over an arm that didn’t move. Fools!
    Thanks for sharing your story Tamala! It is by the Grace of God you’re still here!

20. Pingback: Joy105 – Spreading the Word!! – Tamala Jones On Brain Aneurysm: Urges Youth To Take Care Of Health

21. Pingback: Actress Tamala Jones Recounts Her Aneurysm Scare « Brand Newz

22. Pingback: Jesus Took The Wheel: Did You Know Tamala Jones Survived A Ruptured Brain Aneurysm? | 21 Kisses.COM

23. Pingback: Jesus Took The Wheel: Did You Know Tamala Jones Survived A Ruptured Brain Aneurysm? « WOW WHIP

24. Pingback: TAMALA JONES SPEAKS OUT ON BRAIN ANEURISM | The Spin | TVONE.TV

25. Pingback: Tamala Jones on ABC's Castle, Adoption & Foster Care-Black Enterprise

26. Pingback: Tamala Jones Advocates Adoption & Helping Kids in Need » JK Consulting Group, LLC

27. Pingback: #80: Cuffed. — CastleCast

28. Chiquita Dupree says:

Me myself a 2yr brain aneurysm suvivor…i m so greatful to have read the story of Tamala Jones on her also being a brain aneurysm suvivor…no one would have never known if she didn’t share her story…it’s so good to see here doing well and making things work…it is so good to see that she encourages youth to get their health checked because this does not only affect the elderly but the younger generation as well…also i wanted to know did she suffer any afterr situations steaming from the aneurysm and what type of surgery did she have…so hat’s off to Tamala Jones for being the voice that most definity will be heard…

From One Aneurysm Suvivor To Another

Chiquita Dupree

29. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

30. I drop a comment each time I especially enjoy a article on a website or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. Usually it’s a result of the sincerness communicated in the article I read. And on this post Actress Tamala Jones Survived a Brain Aneurysm – Black Enterprise. I was actually moved enough to post a thought 😉 I do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it seem like a few of these remarks look like they are written by brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you are posting on other sites, I’d like to keep up with you. Could you make a list all of all your community sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

31. Google says:

[…]we came across a cool internet site that you simply could possibly get pleasure from. Take a search should you want[…]

32. modemy usb says:

I have learn several excellent stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you set to create this sort of magnificent informative web site.

33. Simon Wilby lawsuits says:

One adjective that defines Simon Wilby is smart. He is the CEO of Smart Power, Inc. He developed The Smart One, a revolutionary lithium battery powered by solar for cell phones and The Smart Juice which is energy with the same principle for lap tops.

34. Pingback: Tamala Jones on Staying Healthy | SAID IT LOUD

35. Pingback: Tamala Jones on Proactive Health | SAID IT LOUD

36. Pingback: Tamala Jones Launches Aneurysm Survivor Model Search-Black Enterprise

37. Pingback: ‘Castle’ Star Tamala Jones Launches Brain Aneurysm Survivor Model Search | Black Women In Media Website