Top Destinations for Labor Day 2015
With 35 million Americans expected to travel 50 miles or more from home over Labor Day weekend, according to AAA, it’s safe to say most people are itching to take that one last summer getaway before the fall season starts. So if you’re still without plans for the Labor Day weekend or wondering where everyone is headed, Expedia; one of the world’s largest full-service online travel sites, recently released a Labor Day travel trends report, identifying the hot spots and top under-the-radar destinations.
Based on 2014 Labor Day holiday booking data, Expedia found that 20% of eventual Labor Day travel accommodations had been booked in July 2014, making Labor Day a top last-minute booking holiday. Check out the most popular last-minute destinations below.
- Las Vegas – Believe it or not, Sin City offers something to do for the entire family. Check out Vegas.com for the inside city scoop on everything from hotels and shows to amusement parks and ‘over the top’ dining experiences.
- New York City – The city that never sleeps offers non-stop culture and entertainment. Check out Time Out New York for some of the best NYC events, things to do, restaurants, theater, and nightlife happening in the city.
- Cancun – Known for its endless beaches, non-stop parties and authentic Mexican cuisine, Cancun, Mexico, is a great budget-friendly destination, which also offers many all-inclusive resorts. Check out the Trip Advisor.com list of “Top Things to Do in Cancun.”
- Orlando – As Florida’s top destination for families, Orlando, attracts millions of travelers each year. But beyond just Disney world and Sea World, Orlando offers over 150 restaurants on International Drive, golf, themed and dinner theater experiences, and many more attractions.
- Chicago – Whether you’re looking for the best festivals, food or architecture, Chicago, aims to please. Check out Travel and Leisure Chicago Guide.
- Los Angeles – Sure, most people think about celebrities and award shows when you talk about Los Angeles, but there’s a ton of activities in the city. Check out LA weekly for things to do.
- San Francisco – Top restaurants, underground art scene, waterfront activities, and spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, has something for everyone. Check out 50 Things To Do Now: Your Ultimate Summer Bucket List.
- Miami – From sun and sand to culture and nightlife, Miami is your go-to spot for a little taste of everything. Check out Conde Nast’s great list of What Not to Do in Miami.
- Seattle – Famous for coffee, nature and home to a few big businesses, such as Starbucks. Buzz Feed has compiled a really cool list of Unexpectedly Awesome Things To Do in Seattle.”
- Washington, D.C. – Home to some of the best cultural monuments, museums, and memorials in the U.S., Washington D.C. is perfect for the history buff or any family looking to explore. Check out Top Things to Do in Washington D.C. on Trip Advisor.