you need to know if it happens to you:
- Show your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance.
- Turn on your interior light and place your hands in plain sight.
- You have the right to ask why you were stopped.
- If an officer wants to search your car, you have the right to say no.
- If you believe you were stopped for unjust cause, file a complaint.
Know the BLACK ENTERPRISE DOFE Principles
From this day forward, I declare my vigilant and lifelong commitment to financial empowerment and hereby pledge the following:
- I will use homeownership as a foundation for building wealth.
- I will be proactive in managing my budget, credit, debt, and tax obligations.
- I will maximize my earnings potential, live within my means, and commit to saving and investing at least 10% o
f my income.
- I will ensure that my investments are properly diversified and correspond to my current financial goals.
- I will preserve and protect my assets through proper financial and insurance planning.
- I will immediately commit to a program of retirement planning and investing.
- I will ensure that my children receive a thorough education in financial and business matters.
- I will ensure that my wealth is passed on to future generations through proper estate planning.
- I will actively support the creation and growth of viable, competitive, black-owned enterprises.
- I will use a portion of my wealth to strengthen my community.
Know How to Tell a Joke
“Did you hear the one about the horse who walked into a bar and the bartender asks: ‘So why the long face?'” Telling a good joke is an art. Here are the basics:
Don’t start by saying “This is the funniest joke you’ll ever hear!”
- Stress only the relevant details.
- Try not to laugh when telling the joke.
- Speak clearly and keep your voice level.
- Make sure the joke is age-appropriate.
Know How to Give a Great Gift
In today’s fast-paced world, birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays are sometimes acknowledged with unimaginative, last-minute gifts. Start by:
- Talking to the person–Ask about his or her hobbies, likes, and dislikes.
- Tying the gift to a life event–Your boss’ 25th anniversary or your child’s 16th birthday are milestones that deserve a special present.
- Browsing for gift ideas–Try sites like www.gifts.com and www.redenvelope.com.
Know How to Develop a Hobby
Hobbies are fun–they relieve stress, expose us to something new, and awaken our senses to appreciate life more fully. Here are our Top 10 hobby ideas:
- Outdoor activities
- Collecting memorabilia
- Learning music
- Performing arts
- Do-it-yourself projects
- Arts & crafts
Know the Gameof Golf
Golf is a great relationship-builder, so you should be at least conversant about the game.
The Play: Contact local golf associations and inquire about beginner packages. There you can rent clubs; learn the lingo; and practice, practice, practice.
Consideration: Playing golf requires concentration, so be mindful of when and where to strike up a conversation; in general, avoid being a distraction.
Safety: Stick to the golf course to avoid getting hit by a flying ball. For more information, log on to www.africanamericangolfersdigest.com.
Know How to ProfitFrom Your Talent
Are you a sensational singer, a dazzling decorator, a brilliant baker? Whatever your talent, be sure to recognize its profit potential. Here’s how:
- Develop your skills. Consider whether training