Conduct Stress-Free Evaluations
- Do performance appraisals in advance, using records for support.
- Assess employees performance for a reasonable time period, such as six months to a year.
- Don’t compare employees to each other, but evaluate them on the basis of specific standards and expectations.
- Don’t assume experienced employees perform at higher levels than less experienced employees.
- Budget 45 minutes to an hour for a performance evaluation meeting.
- Make sure that you get feedback regarding your comments from each employee.
- Ensure that there is a record of all employee-performance meetings.