terms of helping prevent depression,” says Martin.
Seek professional help. If you’re engaging in self-destructive behavior such as alcoholism, drug abuse, or gambling, contact an addiction support group or mental health professional. Likewise, if you’ve tried multiple times to stop a certain behavior and have been unsuccessful, a psychologist can help.
If you think you’re overextended, the following books and organizations, may help.
- Saving Our Last Nerve: The Black Woman’s Path to Mental Health by Marilyn Martin (Hilton Publishing, $16.95)
- The Get A Life Campaign: A Pocket Guide for the Busy Woman Who Wants It All by Tyeese Gaines Reid (Infinity Publishing; $10.95)
- Black Men and Depression by John Head (Harlem Moon; $12.95)
- Mental Health America (www.nmha.org), formerly known as the National Mental Health Association
- American Institute of Stress (www.stress.org)
- National Institute of Mental Health (www.nimh.nih.gov)