Warning: getimagesize(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/blackenterprise/public_html/wp-content/themes/blackenterprise/single-standard.php on line 35
Does your productivity need a boost? If so, redesigning your office may be a first step toward greater effectiveness and efficiency.
“Whether you work in a large office or a small divider, the design of your work environment largely influences your level of creativity,” says interior designer Jacquelin Quarles-McCoy, owner of Jacque Interiors in Nashville, Tennessee. “An office should be just like your home: functional, comfortable and designed to reflect your personal style.
For maximum productivity when redesigning your office, McCoy suggests the following tips:
- Add a personal touch. Bring in your favorite throw rug or showcase some of your collectibles. Surround yourself–sparingly–with awards, photographs and other belongings.
- Use colors creatively. According to Roger E. Herman, author of Keeping Good People (Oakhill Press; $15), “colors have a measurable impact on productivity, comfort, attitude and job satisfaction.” Soft greens, golds and blues, says Herman, help workers concentrate and see detail better. Bright or contrasting colors are motivating and can bring order out of chaos. When redecorating your work area, add colors or textures to your picture frames, calendars, pencil holder and other office paraphernalia.
- Add greenery. Plants represent life. If you want to liven up your office, bring in your favorite plants or flowers.
- Select the right furniture If traditional office furniture does not match your work style, choose transitional or contemporary pieces. If using residential furniture, be sure that the pieces are functional.
- Be mindful of clients. Are your chairs designed to accommodate all body types? Does your office have the proper lighting? Is your computer blocking your clients’ view ? Does your office have appropriate walk space? Designing your office with a concern for your clients’ comfort may give you the edge over the competition.