Collar Crime Center where consumers can complain about Internet scams.
www.consumer.gov/econsumer gives consumers a place to report Internet scams that they believe originated in other countries.
- The average loss experienced by victims of Internet fraud in 2005 was $1,917.
- In 2005, wire transfers were the most common method of payment used by victims of Internet scams.
- Americans lost $13,863,003 to Internet scams in 2005.
- The largest percentage of complaints by scam victims in 2005 was for merchandise that was misrepresented or never delivered (42%).
- In 2005, consumers over the age of 60 were 21% more likely to fall victim to phishing scams than others.
(Phishing is a thief’s attempt to fraudulently acquire sensitive information such as passwords.)