Nielsen and Essence held a power lunch recently to discuss the findings of their 2014 African American Consumer Report. The findings show that African-American women are conscious spenders. Of the women surveyed, 79% agreed that it is important to trust a brand when purchasing its products.
Cheryl Pearson-McNeil, Nielsen’s SVP of U.S. Strategic Community Alliances and Consumer Engagement offered the following 5 questions to help women stay conscious when shopping.
1. Was the product available in my neighborhood?
2. Does the manufacturer hire people that look like me?
3. Do I see positive images of myself reflected by the company?
4. Does the company support causes important to my community?
5. Am I still willing to spend my money with this company?