Identity Protection Programs: How Do They Stack Up?
What to look for when trying to secure your information
Online security company Kemesa provides a more focused program for those who make frequent purchases on the Internet. Shop Shield aims to prevent unnecessary distribution of sensitive personal and financial information when shopping online. It replaces your personal information needed for the transaction with anonymous data that becomes useless after the purchase is complete and therefore cannot be traced back to the user. This way, the store no longer has your information in their databases, so they can’t lose it, Mud says. It can replace the user’s name, e-mail address, username, password, billing address, billing phone number, and credit card numbers. Kemesa manages users’ information by fragmenting all information instead of storing it in a centralized database.
$9.99 for one month
–Users can purchase components of the program a la cart starting at 49 cents.
Federal Trade Commission on Identity Theft
Identity Theft Resource Center
Financial Expert Learns Hard, Valuable Lesson After ID Theft
Combating Identity Theft
WEALTH FOR LIFE PRINCIPLES
1. I Will Live Within My Means
2. I Will Maximize My Income Potential Through Education and Training
3. I Will Effectively Manage My Budget, Credit, Debt, and Tax Obligations
4. I Will Save At Least 10% of My Income
5. I Will Use Homeownership as a Foundation For Building Wealth
6. I Will Devise An Investment Plan For My Retirement Needs And Childrens’ Education
7. I Will Ensure That My Entire Family Adheres To Sensible Money Management Principles
8. I Will Support the Creation and Growth of Minority-Owned Businesses
9. I Will Guarantee My Wealth Is Passed On To Future Generations Through Proper Insurance And Estate Planning
10. I Will Strengthen My Community Through Philanthropy