- If only traveling was as simple as appearing poolside with a refreshing drink in hand. After scouring the web for irresistible flight deals, a worthwhile hotel package and fun activities, many travelers are exhausted and ready to hop on the next flight heading to their locale of choice. With countless resources at your fingertips (thanks to your mobile device), here are 10 apps that will enhance the adventures that await you.—<a href="http://shegeeks.net/" target="_blank"><em><strong>Corvida Raven</strong></em></a>
- <a href="http://www.tripit.com/" target="_blank"><strong>TripIt</strong></a><br><br>
Keeping track of flights, hotels, and car rental reservations is a lot easier with the mobile travel organizer TripIt. Forward all your confirmation emails to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will roll them into a clear and easy-to-manage travel itinerary. You can access your itineraries via the web, share your plans with family and friends, or download your information for offline viewing via their <a href="http://www.tripit.com/uhp/mobile" target="_blank">mobile app</a>.
- <a href="http://campl.us/" target="_blank">Camera+</a><br><br>
In this day and age, how can you resist snapping hundreds of pictures on just one trip? Before you share them with family and friends (or the world), crop and enhance those photos using one of a dozen filters and tools in <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera+/id329670577?mt=8" target="_blank">Camera+ for iPhone</a>. Then send them off to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
- <a href="http://www.foodspotting.com/" target="_blank">Foodspotting</a><br><br>
Cuisine is a large part of every travel experience. Whether you’re eyeing the most amazing desserts at a local market or trying a new dish at a well-known restaurant, these are moments you want to capture.<br><br>
Want to track your foodie finds? Apps like Foodspotting or <a href="http://evernote.com/food/" target="_blank">Evernote Food</a> are great for viewing local food recommendations and keeping track of every dish you eat along your journey.
(Image: Foodspotting, Inc.)
- <a href="http://flight-plus.com/" target="_blank"><strong>Flight+</strong></a><br><br>
Doesn’t it drive you insane to arrive at the airport only to find your flight is delayed? Flight+ takes care of that headache by tracking hundreds of flights across thousands of airports in real time. Kiss the days of arriving too early, or rushing to catch a flight, goodbye.
- <a href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/" target="_blank">TripAdvisor</a><br><br>
Depending on where you’re traveling, you won’t always be able to ask a friend for his/her insider tips—or will you? Maybe not a companion, but you’ll find a friend in TripAdvisor. The website is a hub of tell-it-like-it-is travel reviews and opinions on vacation-related spots such as hotels and restaurants. This is your one-stop source for planning like a pro, not a tourist.
(Image: TripAdvisor LLC)
- <a href="http://occipital.com/360/app" target="_blank"><strong>360 Panorama</strong></a><br><br>
As you’re out and about, you may want to capture a beautiful scene but the frame is too big for your camera. Get the full picture with 360 Panorama for iOS and Android. Using a collection of snapshots that capture every part of a scene, 360 Panorama stitches the pictures together for a seamless and beautiful panoramic view.
- <a href="http://www.ulmon.com/about/about" target="_blank">City Maps 2Go</a> <br><br>
When data connectivity is limited during travels, it’s handy to have a road map for the journey. City Maps 2Go has over 700 maps worldwide for offline viewing. From street names to points of interests, the app makes it easy to find your way around a new city.
(Image: Ulmon GmbH)
- <a href="http://www.ultralingua.com/products#ios-tab" target="_blank"><strong>Ultralingua</strong></a><br><br>
If you need a translator, look no further than Ultralingua, a multilingual translation tool. Though it’s rather pricey at $20, Ultralingua’s translation apps for iOS and Windows Phone give you access to thousands of conversational phrases and verb conjugations, among other things, without needing an Internet connection.<br><br>
If you’re looking for an even more affordable tool, Lonely Planet‘s Offline Translator apps will offer similar features, in addition to recognizing audio translations, for $15 less.
- <a href="http://postagramapp.com/" target="_blank">Postagram</a><br><br>
Who needs a postcard when you have Instagram, Facebook and Twitter? Postagram gives postcards a facelift using your own pictures instead of typical touristy templates from gift shops. For as little as 99 cents, you can send a postcard to mom from your iPhone or Android device with a picture and message of your choice.
(Image: Sincerely Inc.)
- <a href="http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home" target="_blank"><strong></strong></a><strong><a href="http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home" target="_blank">Skype</a> </strong><br><br>
It’s important to continue to stay in touch, no matter where you’re traveling. When moving out of your service providers’ coverage areas switch to apps like Skype to make video and voice calls over WiFi to loved ones and friends.