Twitter is a power platform for business users and entrepreneurs to humanize their brand and communicate their message directly with their audience. To fully optimize it as a business tool, though, you’ll have to use third party applications and other online tools. This is especially true for users who have to manage multiple Twitter accounts and conversations. Third party apps and tools provide users a richer Twitter experience and enable deeper engagement with their followers.
Currently, 58% of published tweets come from official Twitter apps, while the remaining 42% come from third-party apps. That’s a lot of apps and with so many options available, it’s hard to know where to start. Well, here are 10 essential Twitter tools to get the most out of your social media experience. —Hajj E. Flemings
One of the most popular third party apps is Hootsuite, which allows you to manage multiple social network accounts (including Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook) simultaneously. Two of Hootsuite’s key features are scheduling tweets in advance and integrating analytics (i.e. your clicks stats). In addition to the desktop interface, there’s also a mobile version that allows you to manage your account on the go.
Another popular app is Tweetdeck, which allows you to manage multiple social network accounts as well. It integrates other third party tools like bit.ly and Yfrog fairly well and also has a mobile version.
Although the Twitter mobile app is not a third party app, it does compete with Hootsuite and Tweetdeck by allowing users with an iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Android or Window 7 phone/device to manage their Twitter accounts.
Photo sharing is a powerful way to provide a real-time experience to your community and Yfrog lets you share photos and videos on Twitter, view all your conversations, and connect with your family and friends. You can enable Yfrog through Tweetdeck, a desktop or a mobile app.
Formerly known as Plixi, Lockerz is another real-time photo-sharing platform that allows you to share photos from a desktop or a mobile device.
Twitpic is the original real-time Twitter photo-publishing tool but has been outpaced by some of the newer services in terms of features. But if you’re simply looking to share photos from a desktop or a mobile device, it gets the job done fairly simple.
Your discovery of new and interesting Twitter users is very important in growing your Twitter network. One tool that enables you to grow your network based upon location, events, and interest is We Follow, which is a great for identifying Twitter users in new markets. When I travel for speaking engagements, I typically go in and identify Twitter users to connect with while I’m in that market/city. It’s also desktop accessible.
Hashable documents how you met people, as long as they also have a Twitter account. This is a great tool to use when attending conferences and/or social events that’s desktop and mobile app accessible.
Bit.ly is a URL shortener with analytics that allows users to optimize each tweet by condensing links to get the most out of the 140-character limits.
Paper.li allows you to create a daily newspaper from your various networks’ Twitter streams. This is a very powerful tool to help you create valuable content for your user base by aggregating important links and information in one space daily.