HTC and Microsoft announced on Wednesday their latest creations: the Windows Phone 8X and the 8S. At the press event in New York City, HTC CEO Peter Chou said the two tech companies aimed to open the next chapter in a longstanding partnership that’s spanned 15 years.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer emphasized that same message, adding that their latest inventions will take things to the next level. â€śPairing HTCâ€™s beautiful new Windows Phone 8X and 8S with our brand is a big milestone for both companies,â€ť said Ballmer. â€śTogether we are offering customers a clear choice and a truly unique experience.â€ť
The homescreen of tiles, or apps, is a central element for the recently released duo. In fact, Windows 8X offers ample room for different tiles, which users can choose to make small, medium and/or large. That capability rivals the extra row provided by Appleâ€™s iPhone 5. With a smaller screen, the 8S doesnâ€™t offer as much room for apps, however, like the 8X, it offers customized capabilities.
The latest Windows phones are the first in an extensive lineup of Windows 8 phones set to hit the market later this year. The HTC Windows Phones will be available in November, but pricing information has yet to be determined. Take a closer look at this quick-and-easy breakdown of Windowsâ€™ newest creations:
Windows Phone 8X
The Windows Phone 8X has a thin build, weighing in at around 10 mm; is monochrome unibody polycarbonate.
- 4.3-inch HD screen (SuperLCD 2 720p display made from Gorilla Glass 2)
- 1.5 GHz dual-core processor
- 16 GB of storage
- 8 MP â€śbackside illuminatedâ€ť rear camera and 2.1 MP front camera with 88-degree ultra-wide viewing angle
- Shoots full 1080p video
- 2 dedicated amplifiers (one for the headphone 3.5mm jack, another for the speakers); supports Beats Audio
- Available in California Blue, Graphite Black, Flame Red and Limelight Yellow
Windows Phone 8S
As the smaller of the two devices, the 8S is a two-tone polycarbonate.
- 4-inch SuperLCD Gorilla Glass
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- 4 GB of internal storage, with an option for expanding storage via the microSD slot
- 5 MP rear camera
- Features Beats Audio
- Available in Domino Black-White, Fiesta Red, Atlantic Blue and High-Rise Gray Yellow
Both phones will be available in 50 countries from 150 mobile operators. In the U.S., the smartphones will be available through AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.