5. Network Hub Included in the package is a 1 GB Dell PowerConnect 2808 network hub. The eight-port switch will network and encrypt all of the local computers in the shop while also emitting a wireless signal so Hannah doesnâ€™t need a router. â€śIt is an IT hub to enable her to control which IP addresses can access certain places,â€ť says Collins-Jones. â€śItâ€™s like an extension of a modem and it has a lifetime warranty.â€ť Its Web-managed capabilities will allow an IT professional to remotely access the hub from anywhere. The 1 GB Ethernet will help with quickly moving files such as videos that are too big to e-mail through her network.
6. SonicWALL Firewall The wireless firewall protects The Clean Dog and its customers from malicious viruses and spyware. The firewall will enable Hannah to set up multiple wireless access points and different security features for her as the owner, for employees, and for customers who access the Internet on their iPads or smartphones while waiting for their pets.
7. Windows 7 Professional All of Hannahâ€™s computers will come with Windows 7 Professional and three years of Trend Micro antivirus coverage. Windows 7 Professional comes with a remote desktop, which will allow Hannah to access any of these computers when an associate is having difficulties.
8. Backup and Storage In addition, Dell will provide The Clean Dog with 2 terabytes of storage via Western Digitalâ€™s My Book Live. With this device, Hannah can schedule backups for her computers. Afterward she can access files in the cloud when she gets home.
9. Printer Finally, The Clean Dog will receive a Dell 1355cnw All-in-One Color Laser Printer that can make copies, print, scan, and fax. The 1355cnw is wireless, networkable, and PC-free, meaning Hannah and her employees can print from any computer, media device, smart card, or flash drive. Hannah had just purchased a new inkjet printer in 2008, but found that the ink cartridges were costly and needed to be replaced often. Because the 1355cnw is laser, Hannah will see better quality in her prints and a much better yield in terms of the money she invests in toner compared with what she spent on ink cartridges.Â