5 Top Tablets: Which One is Right For You?
An extensive review of the latest hot options to enhance your mobile workspace
The New Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1
- Price: The 16GB 8.9â€ť option is $469 and the 32GB is $569; The 16 GB 10.1â€ť tablet is $499 and the 32 GB is $599
- Dimensions: The 10.1â€ť is 1.3 lbs and .34â€ť thick. The 8.9â€ť is 1.03 lbs
- Operating System: Google’s Android 3.0 Honeycomb, plus Samsungâ€™s TouchWiz UX (which stands for user experience).
- Popular Features and Apps: It can access AdobeÂ® FlashÂ® Player compatible content and play 3D games and multimedia. It has HD resolution of 1280×800 and shoots 720p HD video. The front facing camera is 5 MP, while the rear is 8 MP. These specs are way higher than the camera’s on the iPad 2. Because it will be comparable in thickness to the iPad 2 with the option to go to an even smaller version with the 8.9″ it will give Apple a run for customers who want to downsize even more.
- Storage: Micro SD slots that expand the storage up to 64GB
- Carrier: Not yet disclosed; The Wi-Fi 10.1 version will be available June 8 in the U.S.
- Turn Offs: None as of yet. With the product launch so far in the future it’s difficult to identify its negative points. Those who were unhappy with the original product, which launched last Fall, said that it was too small or that there weren’t enough apps in the Android marketplace. Also at the time some apps made for smaller smart phones on the Froyo operating system looked stretched to fit the larger screen. That problem has likely been fixed with the new OS.