You read this headline and immediately think, no way. No way do I have what it takes to channel the #1 ranked , 36 total grand slam winning, 69 singles titles toting, 4 Olympic Gold medal carrying, 6 Wimbledon and U.S. Open title acquiring, only tennis player to have achieved a Career Golden Slam in both singles and doubles champion.
Oh, but you do. There is a Serena living inside you, dying to be tapped into, you just have to look inward and execute. Here’s how:
- Exude confidence. There is something about watching Serena behind the tennis net that immediately reads came to win. She’s fearless, assured, convinced of her ability to take it all, and does what it takes to live up to that ability. Watching Serena in any tennis match is never about who she’s playing against, it’s always about how she’s playing for herself. If she’s playing like a winner by Serena’s own standards, Serena inevitably wins by everyone else’s.
- Ignore haters. She’s black, she’s a woman, and she’s arguably the best athlete in the world. It’s doubtful that a more fertile territory for haters exists. How does Serena combat the hate? She allows each win to fight for her. After which, there is nothing left to be said.
- Generate fear. “Serena is intimidating even when she’s on her best behavior,” said Australian tennis player Sam Stosur following a match with the champion. “Her tennis normally does all the talking she needs. But she’s larger than life…You almost feel like you’ve got no chance.” Any person or thing that challenges you and your ultimate goals must immediately be ‘Serena’d.’ It must know that it doesn’t stand a chance before it even gets started.
- Look good doing it. Deion Sanders said it best, If you look good, you feel good. If you feel good, you play good. If you play good, they pay good.” When you look your best, your actions try to match that appearance. If you continuously act as good as you’re looking, you’re well on your way to being a champion.
- Win. Looking at Serena, this is pretty much your only option.Winning has come to be expected every time she steps onto the court. Every time you embark on a challenge, let winning be your expectation. It’s the Serena way.
Be sure to find your inner Serena and bring her with you to the 2016 Black Enterprise Golf & Tennis Challenge, September 1-4, PGA National Resort & Spa, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Register now.