Beverly Johnson, the first black woman to grace the cover of Vogue magazine, will be at the Black Enterprise Golf and Tennis Challenge taking place in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., Aug. 28-31. Forty years years after her Vogue appearance, Johnson has amassed several other outstanding achievements, but here are 10 things you should know about this supermodel.
1. Johnson was the first black model to appear on the cover of American Vogue in August 1974.
2. She studied political science at Northeastern University.
3. She released on album in 1979 on Buddah Records.
4. Johnson is often credited as the first African American supermodel.
5. She has appeared on more than 500 magazine covers.
6. She had her own reality TV series, “Beverly’s Full House,” on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
7. Johnson has also written a book, Beverly Johnson’s Guide to a Life of Health and Beauty.
8. The Beverly Johnson Luxurious Lifestyle Brand of products can be found on Beverly’s Online Store at www.beverlyjohnson.com.
9. Johnson was a champion swimmer in her youth and aspired to be a lawyer.
10. She is a grandmother of two.