With Memorial Day just around the corner, you might be thinking about a weekend getaway. You might also be putting the finishing touches on your summer travel plans.
Here are five tips for keeping more cash in your pocket:
1. Travel during the off-peak. Be flexible about your travel dates. Peak and off-peak days vary depending on where you’re going and when. Days are considered off-peak as early as a week or two before the holidays and several days afterward. Catch an early morning or late evening flight to get the lowest rates.
2. Grab up discounts. Check multiple sites, routes, airports, and days, and simply ask for the best rates. Some airlines offer discounts to members of AAA or AARP, students, senior citizens, or military and government employees.
3. Go online for airfare deals. If you register with airline Websites, you’ll receive e-mail notifications of discount rates.
4. Take advantage of travel packages. Look into package deals. You can save hundreds of dollars by booking airline tickets along with a hotel room or rental car. Expedia and Travelocity are good places to start.
5. Consider skipping the hotel. Staying at a bed-and-breakfast can be a cheaper alternative to a hotel. You can find black-owned bed-and-breakfasts by visiting the Website of the African American Association of Innkeepers International at www.africanamericaninns.com.