Monday, Vice President Joe Biden said the “Roadmap to Recovery” initiative is an ambitious effort to reflect the commitments of cabinet members for a stepped up level of activity in implementing the Recovery Act in the next 100 days. “We intend to deliver this increased pace at virtually every agency, and in countless programs,” said Biden.
These ten spotlighted commitments include:
* Enable 1,129 Health Centers in 50 States and Eight Territories to Provide Expanded Service to Approximately 300,000 Patients: This HHS program will create jobs and support health center efforts to improve access to quality, comprehensive, and affordable care.
* Begin Work on Rehabilitation and Improvement Projects at 98 Airports and Over 1,500 Highway Locations Throughout the Country: Projects will include runway construction at selected airports to increase capacity, and interstate repaving projects to reduce bottlenecks and congestion.
* Fund 135,000 Education Jobs Including Teachers, Principals and Support Staff: The Recovery Act funds will help to keep outstanding teachers in Americaâ€™s schools and help with necessary reforms to ensure that every child in America can receive a complete and competitive education.
* Begin Improvements at 90 Veterans Medical Centers Across 38 States: Upgrading existing Veterans Medical Centers will increase the quality of the facilities to deliver the care our soldiers deserve.
* Hire or Keep on the Job Approximately 5,000 Law Enforcement Officers: These funds will be used to hire new officers while also retaining our veteran force.
* Start 200 New Waste and Water Systems in Rural America: These projects will replace outdated water mains and build waste-water treatment facilities for small communities.
* Begin Work on 107 National Parks: Through these projects, we will preserve the National Park System, and launch long overdue projects.
* Begin or Accelerate Cleanup Work at 20 Superfund Sites from the National Priority List: Superfund work will boost local economies by creating and maintaining jobs while also protectÂ¬ing human health and the environment.
* Create 125,000 Summer Youth Jobs: Empowering our young people through meaningful summer employment will keep them off the streets and provide them with valuable work experience.
* Initiate 2,300 Construction and Rehabilitation Projects at 359 Military Facilities Across the Nation: Department of Defense projects will improve personnel living quarters and install green technologies throughout the country for the United States Military.