At my company, we are often asked for ways to improve an appâ€™s ranking in the app store in order increase downloads. The truth is that there are two ways to gain a user base: a strong marketing strategy, and optimizing your app for search (i.e., App Store SEO). The first includes paying for PR, using third-party marketing platforms, and showcasing at local events, launch parties, etc. Unfortunately, this all comes at a cost. If you are one of the lucky ones who have the cash, then keep at it!
The second, for those who arenâ€™t as fortunate, consists of guerrilla marketing efforts â€” on of which is improving the SEO of your app so itâ€™s easier for customers to find in the Apple App Store. This article will cover ways to improve your app store SEO. Before we begin, letâ€™s look briefly at the advantages of this method.
Why Consider App Store SEO?
The most logical answer is â€śWhy not?â€ť App Store SEO can play an important part in yourÂ guerrillaÂ marketing strategy and costs you next to nothing. A basic overhaul only takes a few minutes of your time, and leads to immediate results. Before we share four key things to know, letâ€™s summarize the advantages:
- Great for those who donâ€™t have a marketing budget
- Easy to do and takes only a few minutes
- Increases your appâ€™s exposure within the store
4 Quick and Simple Things to Do to Improve Your Appâ€™s Ranking
1. Identify your keywords.
- Do keyword research. Spend some time thinking about keywords that best categorize and describe your app.
- Try using the singular version of a keyword, e.g. school not schools.
- Use all the available characters if possible. Last we checked, you were given up to 100 characters. Use them all.
- Localize your keywords for each given language.
- Do not repeat the app name in your keywords.