America's Lawyers Black - Page 14 of 23

America’s Lawyers Black

60% of her caseload, and jury trials represent the other 40%. Knowing the facts of the case — cold — is her creed. Unlike a jury trial, where lawyers have hours to present closing remarks in hopes of swaying jurors’ opinions, appellate trial attorneys have a miniscule 10 to 15 minutes to make their case before three judges.
The “Steel Magnolia,” as Roseborough is called, has mastered taking hits and fiery questions from judges. She is always prepared, staging several moot court rehearsals prior to each case.
A graduate of the University of North Carolina School of Law, Roseborough once clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. She also served as deputy assistant attorney general at the U.S. Department of Justice during the Clinton administration. It’s not surprising that she was enlisted to litigate for former Vice President Al Gore after the 2000 election. The 44-year-old attorney represented the Democratic presidential candidate before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and the Florida Supreme Court during the Florida election recount litigation.
Other high-stakes cases include a MCI/WorldCom class-action suit that sought punitive damages for inflated pricing structures. The case was dismissed before it made it to a jury trial. Roseborough has also advocated for entitlement and social security benefits for foster care children in the Supreme Court case Keffler v. State of Washington.
But long before she sets foot in the courtroom, Roseborough says she is “already thinking in terms of the appeal process — maintaining a victory or reversing a defeat.”
— Jennifer L. SmithDennis W. Archer
Dickinson Wright
Detroit, MI
Contact: 313-223-3500
Career Highlights: After earning his degree from the Detroit College of Law, Archer worked as a trial lawyer for several Detroit firms. He ascended to the post of Detroit mayor, serving an eight-year term and garnering respect for changing the city’s image and lowering the crime rate.
Power Play: Archer was the first African American elected president of the 400,000-member American Bar Association.


Prince C. Chambliss Jr.
Stokes, Bartholomew, Evans & Petree
Memphis, TN
Contact: 901-521-6781
Career Highlights: The Harvard Law School graduate has over 30 years of litigation and mediation experience. He has been lead counsel in jury trial verdicts in areas ranging from contractual disputes to class action personal injury suits to insurance and securities fraud.
Power Play: Chambliss was the first African American partner of a majority law firm in his state and the first African American president of the Memphis Bar Association.

Vincent H. Cohen Sr.
Managing Partner
Hogan & Hartson
Washington, DC
Contact: 202-637-5600
Career Highlights: Cohen has litigated civil and criminal cases and argued appeals in all of the District of Columbia’s local and federal courts. A graduate of Syracuse University Law School, Cohen served as trial attorney with the Department of Justice and director of compliance of the Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission.
Power Play: Cohen is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and formerly served as vice chairman of Disabilities and Tenure and two terms as a member of the Board of Governors of the District of Columbia Bar.

Michele A. Roberts
Shea & Gardner
Washington, DC
Contact: 202-828-2000
Career Highlights: Roberts, chair of