Today, The Washington Nationals join the Greater Washington Urban League (GWUL) to celebrate the contributions of African Americans to the game of baseball and the community during Black Heritage Day. The team will be playing against the Miami Marlins.
A portion of the proceeds from each ticket purchased online at nationals.com/GWUL will be donated to the Greater Washington Urban League.
Fans will enjoy contests and videos throughout the game that highlight baseball greats in African American history. The videos will include a tribute to Jackie Robinson and an interview about the Negro Leagues with Emmy Award-winning sportscaster James Brown.
Pregame ceremonies include:
- Ceremonial first pitch thrown by GWUL Gala auction winner, Tara Dunlap
- Lineup card delivery by Michael Akin, GWUL Board Chairman and President, Reingold Link
- National Anthem performed by Grammy Award-nominated artist and D.C.-native Carolyn Malachi
- Howard University Army ROTC Color Guard presenting our nation’s colors
- Starting eight featuring children from the GWUL’s Kids and WPGC contest winners
- Play ball announcement by George H. Lambert Jr., GWUL president and CEO