Eight hours ago the National Weather Service issued a Blizzard Warning for New York City and Southern New York State, with snow already accumulating in Virginia; Washington, D.C.; and North Carolina. #Blizzard2016, also being referred to as “Winter Storm Jonas” and the “Blizzard of the Ages,” is expected to take place from Friday, Jan. 22 through Sunday, Jan 24, 2016.
People are being instructed to remain indoors, with winds estimated at 50 mph and snow expected to reach at least 15 inches, closing down many airports and railroad services. So what are some ways to prepare for the upcoming snowstorm, especially if you’re living in an urban area?
1. Be sure to have a working flashlight, charged cell phone, and an emergency heating source.
2. Shop for extra food, water, medicine, and first-aid supplies.
3. Stay inside, close off unneeded rooms to save heat, and stuff towels in cracks underneath doors to conserve heat.
4. Cover your windows during the night.
5. Aim to wear layers of loose-fitting, light-weight, and warm clothing.
Check out a full list of blizzard survival tips here.
Are you prepared for Winter Storm Jonas? Share any of your tips with us below in the comment section.