Regardless if you’re a small business owner, corporate executive or new employee climbing the corporate ladder, everyone needs some inspiration. From motivating you to take risk and leading others to networking and achieving your goals, here are some words of wisdom from a few of our top leaders in business.
- What makes networking work is that it sets up win-win situations in which all parties involved get to take something home. Networking is a sharing process. Until you understand that, you won’t have much of a network. —Black Enterprise Founder and Publisher Earl G. Graves Sr.
- Every time I go into a new venture, I find a “rabbi” who has the business acumen to help me understand the mechanics of that industry, the costs involved in developing a product, and what you need to do in order to make a profit.—Hip-Hop Music and Fashion Mogul Russell Simmons
- Sell to their needs—not from yours.—Black Enterprise Founder and Publisher Earl G. Graves Sr.
- Hotness to me is scary. I don’t want to be hot. I just want to be a staple. I want to be something that’s trusted.—Bankable Productions CEO Tyra Banks
- I know many members of our community steer clear of Wall Street because of the perception that the stock market is risky, but I am convinced the biggest risk of all is not taking one. —Ariel Capital Management L.L.C./Ariel Mutual Funds President Mellody Hobson
- I believe in destiny. But I also believe that you can’t just sit back and let destiny happen. A lot of times, an opportunity might fall into your lap, but you have to be ready for that opportunity. You can’t sit there waiting on it. A lot of times you are going to have to get out there and make it happen. —Forty Acres and a Mule Filmworks CEO Spike Lee
- “Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.” -— Dr. Mae Jemison, first African-American female astronaut
Continue reading on the next page.