Entrepreneurship is a world of its own, and so many give up before they even get started. Several factors play roles in individuals giving up too soon; from not making enough money, to feeling alone in the business world. I believe that if more entrepreneurs shared their stories, it would encourage others to hang in there.
Everyone has a story, and someone is waiting to hear the story you’ve never told. The question is, will you tell the story? This is one of the reasons why I think it’s so important for every business person to become an author.
You Are the Expert
When you share your expertise with the world through a book, this allows you to position yourself as an expert in your industry. It also gives you a greater level of credibility. There is someone looking to be enlightened by what you know and gain from your sphere of influence. This will help you raise your fees and be more intentional about the clients you want to serve.
Create an Additional Income Stream
Writing your book will allow you to make some additional money in your business. Writing your book won’t make you rich, but it will allow you to make some money—even in your sleep. Once the book is written, you can make even more money, if you turn your book into a workshop or seminar. This will open more opportunities for you to speak and share your message.
Once your book is written, it will enable you to get your message or expertise out to so many more individuals. This will position you to work with clients from all over the world. You can’t be everywhere at once, but writing your book will allow you to be in the presence of individuals everywhere at once.
I had an opportunity to sit down and speak with Jessica L. Mosley of J. Mosley Publishing Company, and she shared with me the importance of entrepreneurs sharing their message with the world. A writer of several best-sellers, Mosley shared four common myths you must debunk to get started:
- “I need a college degree to be an author.”
- A college degree will not make you a better writer.
- “I need a lot of money to write a book.”
- You can self -publish or use publishing tools.
- “I need a massive network to get my message out.”
- Start with family and friends who love you and care for you.
- “No one wants to hear my story.”
- There is always going to be someone who will resonate with your message.
Mosely also shared three strategies that every entrepreneur can apply immediately to help them get started with writing that book.
- Just start writing. There’s not a method to writing a book—just put your thoughts on paper.
- Be knowledgeable of your field. Don’t write about something you are not skilled or knowledgeable in, and always stay abreast in your area of expertise.
- “Your pain should pay you.” Don’t be afraid to share what you’ve been through with others. Being authentic in sharing your message will touch people in a greater way.
This article was written by The BOSS Network, Priscilla Q. Williams.
Priscilla Q. Williams is a Registered Nurse, Global Nurse Educator, Speaker, Author and Certified Overflow Coach. She helps women see their brilliance and live the life they truly desire.
Learn more about Priscilla Q. Williams by visiting her website at www.priscillaqwilliams.com
Follow Priscilla on Twitter @p_williams1