More than 500 professionals, business leaders and executives will gather at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center on¬†Tuesday, March 25¬†from¬†6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to honor 12 outstanding diversity game changers in the city of¬†Boston¬†from the fields of Academia, Financial Services, Life Sciences, Mentoring, Non-profit, Politics, Public Sector, Social Innovation and Sports.
With the theme¬†“Diversity Game Changers: White Men Who Can Jump,” the event celebrates the sixth anniversary of¬†Get Konnected! Boston’s¬†premier urban business networking event that brings together professionals, business executives and entrepreneurs of all cultures for the purpose of networking.
Each year, Get Konnected! focuses on a theme. In 2011 the theme was Legends and Leaders. In 2012¬† it was Women who Rock. Last year it was¬†Leading by Example.
“I have been asked why are you honoring only white men?” says Colette Phillips CEO and President of Colette Phillips Communications, Inc. and founder of Get Konnected! “The answer is simple, because white men occupy the majority CEO positions in this city and country and are in a unique position to affect real and meaningful change. We are honoring those men who are doing and have done the right thing in moving the dial in hopes that their peers will emulate them.”
The honorees are:
- Academia: Dean Barry Bluestone,¬†Director of the Kitty and Michael Dukakis Center for Urban Studies¬†at Northeastern University
- Financial Services:¬†Robert Rivers,¬†President and COO of Eastern Bank
- Financial Services:¬†Eric Rosengren:President and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of¬†Boston
- Life Sciences: Dr.¬†Peter Slavin:¬†President and CEO Massachusetts General Hospital
- Mentoring:¬†James Geraghty Executive Director, Morgan Stanley Private Wealth Management
- Non Profit-Advocacy:¬†Rob Leikind, Executive Director, American Jewish Committee
- Politics: Mayor of Boston Martin J. Walsh
- Politics: Massachusetts State Treasurer¬†Steve Grossman
- Public Sector:¬†James Rooney, Executive Director Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
- Social Innovation:¬†Alan Khazei President¬†& CEO Be The Change and Adjunct Professor¬†Harvard Kennedy School¬†of Government
- Sports Philanthropy:¬†John Henry, Principal Owner of¬†The Red Sox and Owner of the Boston Globe
- SportsManagement:Larry Lucchino, President & CEO Boston Red Sox
“Many enlightened business leaders recognize that diversity and inclusion are business, social and political imperatives necessary to compete in today’s global economy”¬†says Phillips.¬†“These leaders are being honored for their commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion both in the workplace marketplace and philanthropy.”
“I am proud that over the past six years, Get Konnected! has been recognized by¬†Greater Boston’s¬†corporations, nonprofits and business executives for its contribution toward making¬†Boston¬†a more welcoming and inclusive city for people of all backgrounds.”