Monster Energy Drink Fights Cardiac Arrest Death Lawsuit

Company investigates 14-year-old who died after drinking 2 Monster Energy beverages

monster energy drink


Monster Beverage is responding to a lawsuit that alleges its energy drinks were responsible for a 14-year-old Maryland girl’s death.

The lawsuit filed last year by the family of Anais Fournier, said the girl went into cardiac arrest after drinking two, 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy drinks in a 24-hour period. This is one of five lawsuits the Food and Drug Administration is currently investigating that link Monster beverages to death.

The company hired a team of physicians to review the medical records in the case and found that Anais likely died from pre-existing heart conditions, and not “caffeine toxicity” as was original suggested. The physicians found no medical evidence that show caffeine was a factor in the death. Maryland’s chief medical examiner had listed the cause of death on the autopsy as “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity” in the presence of a heart condition.

Monster has stood by the safety of its drinks, which it says contain 240 milligrams of caffeine for a 24-ounce can, compared with 330 milligrams in a 16-ounce cup of Starbucks coffee. The company says its target market is 18 to 34 years old, but that its drinks are safe for children.

Read More at Huffington Post


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *