JimDre Westbrook, also known as “The Worth The Wait Guy,” made quite a name for himself when he told the world he was a real life 30-year-old virgin. Now 31, the entrepreneur took to social media on his 30th birthday, announcing to the world that he was still a virgin and that he intended to remain one until he got married. Westbrook’s journey is somewhat unique as he lives in the city best known for its “anything goes” mantra – Las Vegas.
BlackEnterprise.com caught up with Westbrook to talk about celibacy, how women react when they find out he’s a virgin, and his tips for abstinence.
BlackEnterprise.com: When did you make the decision to wait?
Westbrook: I made the decision to wait until marriage for sex at the young age of 14. I remember it like it was yesterday. My mom and I were having “the talk” and she wanted me to be prepared for the inevitable: having responsible, safe sex. However, I informed her that I wanted to remain a virgin until I experienced sex with my future wife.
How has dating been for you? Do you tell your partners you’re a virgin? If so, how do they react?
Dating has been quite the experience. I’ve even tried online dating. I’m very honest and transparent with the women I date. I feel like it’s the best policy and produces the best results. Surprisingly, 90% of women react positively and support my lifestyle.
How did your friends and family react when they found out?
My immediate friends and family already knew about me being a virgin. However, the majority of people who know me had no clue. Their reactions were extremely positive and encouraging. Some of my friends and co-workers are still amazed by my announcement.
What are your top strategies for staying celibate?
1. Stay active. Keep your mind busy. Find quality time for personal interests and hobbies – working out, cooking, reading. I’m always doing something, whether it’s working out, hanging out with friends and family, or brainstorming new ideas for LAYOP clothing and Worth The Wait Guy.
2. Stay focused. Always handle your business first. Surround yourself with a great support system, people who believe in you.
3. Stay faithful. Put all your faith in God. Talk with Him daily through prayer and He will change your life.
What are your top five reasons for waiting until marriage?
1. God. My relationship with Him is the most important relationship in my life. Waiting until marriage for sex is my promise to God that I must honor and respect.
2. My future wife. I want to share that special moment for the first time with my future wife. I believe that would be the ultimate gift and testimony to our love.
3. Living at my own pace. Being a virgin at my age is a great example of living at my own pace. I believe everyone should do what makes them happy in life.
4. Staying the course. I feel like this is my life’s purpose. I embrace the challenge and responsibility God has blessed me with.
5. Healthy lifestyle. Abstinence is a great way to promote a healthy lifestyle and can help prevent the spread of STDs.