As Father’s Day quickly approaches, many of us are wondering what gift to get dad this year. Barbecue grills, TVs, and golf clubs are great, but sometimes all it takes is a message of appreciation, straight from the heart.
Here are some creative gift ideas to honor dad on his day.
- Use your camera to film a short documentary. Ask siblings, kids, and extended family members to share their favorite stories and the best advice they’ve ever received from dad.
- Host a Father’s Day Cook-off Competition. Invite family and friends over to recreate some or your dad’s favorite meals. Of course, dad is the judge and chooses the winner.
- Create a customized coffee table book. Include family events such as weddings, graduations, and father-daughter-son moments from your childhood.
- Sign Dad up for a class. If he’s been talking about learning how to fly a helicopter or paint, find a class and sign him up.
- Write a short personal essay or poem. Talk about key events in your childhood or the influence your dad has had on your life. (E.g., 10 Life Lessons I Learned From Dad.)
- Build something. Whether it’s a birdhouse, shed, or backyard deck, if your dad loves spending his free time making things, these are all great bonding experiences.
- Make a playlist. Pick some of dad’s favorite songs and create a playlist for him. As an added touch, include a few songs that remind you of him and save them to a USB flash drive.
- Volunteer in the community.While honoring your dad on Fathers Day, donate your time to helping others who are less fortunate.
- Plan a Father’s Day Olympics. If your dad loves sports, a day of competitive activities, such as swimming, a relay race, or even basketball, will make his day.
- Spend quality time. Nothing beats quality time with family. Whether it’s spending the day watching movies or barbecuing in the backyard, the memories made are priceless!