Duane ‘Keefe D’ Davis’ Loses Attorney Before Arraignment In Tupac Shakur Case
He may have to have a public defender.
The man accused of being involved in the 1996 killing of hip-hop recording artist Tupac Shakur is set to appear in court for an arraignment, but he does not currently have an attorney.
According to 8 News Now, Duane “Keffe D” Davis, due in court on Nov. 2, will not have a defense attorney when he is expected to plead not guilty in a Nevada courtroom. He is the only living person who was in the vehicle where the shooter fired the bullets that struck and killed the “Death Row” rapper on Sept. 7, 1996.
Ross Goodman, an attorney who defended Davis outside the courtroom two weeks ago, told the media outlet that he no longer represented the Compton, CA native. The attorney said that Davis was not able to reach the terms of an agreement and that he wished him luck. Due to the latest news, it is unknown if the arraignment will occur or if Davis will get representation from the public defender’s office.
The 60-year-old man was arrested on Sept. 29 in Henderson after having his residence searched by Las Vegas police officers after they obtained a search warrant on July 17.
Tupac was shot numerous times in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas after witnessing a boxing match featuring Mike Tyson on Sept. 7, 1996. The beloved yet controversial rapper and actor died six days after being shot at the age of 25. Keefe D, who wrote the book, Compton Street Legend and did many interviews over the years, has previously stated that the killing of the “Me Against the World” lyricist was done by his nephew, Orlando Anderson, who was killed two years later. Anderson was seen on surveillance video having an altercation with the entertainer before the “All Eyez On Me” emcee was dead.
There has been speculation that Davis’ book and numerous interviews he did had given investigators the ammunition needed to pick him up for his alleged involvement in the killing.