- Your stroke is just as important as the <a href="http://www.blackenterprise.com/gt/">golf course</a> you’re putting on. And for many novice and more seasoned players who want to get a hole in one, ambiance is everything. Golf is what draws golfers to the crème de la crème in courses stateside and abroad, but when they want to organize a family staycation, a getaway for two or fun business outing, it’s something a little more like the spa services or exclusive perks for being a luxury car driver that seal the deal. <strong>BlackEnterprise.com</strong> spoke to the founder and president of Golf Quests, Inc. <a href="http://www.blackenterprise.com/2010/12/01/so-youve-been-fired-now-what-the-accidental-entrepreneur/"><strong>Ty DeLavallade</strong></a> about today’s top golf resorts. See if your favorite made the list!
<b><em><a href="http://www.blackenterprise.com/outofoffice/">For more travel tips, destinations and best places to stay, eat and play, visit blackenterprise.com/outofoffice</a></b></em>
- <strong>Reunion Resort and Club at Wyndham Grand Resort </strong> <br> This Orlando, Florida location is ideal for a game of golf, but the same can be said for a girlfriends’ getaway, family excursion, or couple’s rendezvous. In addition to the 3 golf courses (54 holes in total) designed by golf greats <strong>Jack Nicklaus</strong>, <strong>Arnold Palmer</strong> and <strong>Tom Watson</strong>, <a href="http://www.reunionresort.com/" target="_blank">Reunion</a> offers papering at its boutique spa, indoor and outdoor activities, and kid-friendly fun at the on-site water park, playgrounds, or through the exclusive children’s club, Kid’s Crew. Not to mention, your choice of a villa, grande suite or private home to lodge in for the duration of your stay. Between that and the decadent cuisine options, you may never want to venture off the resort’s grounds. “At the end of the day, if you don’t want to leave, you don’t have to leave,” says DeLavallade.
(Image: Reunion Resort and Club at Wyndham Grand Resort)
- <strong>The Phoenician </strong> <br> This leading <a href="http://www.thephoenician.com/" target="_blank">AAA Five Diamond resort</a> and spa is nestled in Scottsdale, Arizona, bordered by the natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert and Camelback Mountain. With three rigorous nine-hole golf courses designed by golf architects <strong>Ted Robinson, Sr.</strong> and <strong>Homer Flint</strong> on the premises, golfers will appreciate the challenge. Forgot your irons? There’s an on-site golf shop if you need. After an afternoon of gaming, stroll through The Phoenician Art Collection or two-acre Cactus Garden, opt for a game of tennis on its stellar court or just lay back and relax at the Centre for Well-Being spa. By the end of the day you'll have worked up an appetite, so drop into one of 10 restaurants and lounges for a bite to eat.
(Image: The Phoenician Resort)
- <strong>The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa </strong> <br> Another one of Scottsdale’s leading golf excursions can be found at this <a href="http://www.kierlandresort.com/" target="_blank">AAA Four Diamond resort</a>. And at this spot, the sport isn’t only reserved for adults; junior golfers can get in the game, too. There’s plenty to indulge in from numerous cuisine selections and refreshing fitness regimens (try: aqua fitness, yoga or cardio) to Scottish culture and Agave Spa services. What may really catch your eye and attention is The Westin's Audi Lane, which offers Audi owners preferential and complimentary valet parking in the designated area. Now, if you can’t find something that suits you at the moment, drop by the front-desk and they’ll point you in the right direction. “The Westin does a great job of creating an experience for you that is by far phenomenal,” adds DeLavallade.
(Image: The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa)
- <strong>Pinehurst Resort </strong> <br> This “old school meets new school” setting (as the golf connoisseur calls it) isn’t the only aspect that makes this North Carolina resort stand out. It boasts not one, three, but eight golf courses on the property, which provides a golf course for every golfer at <a href="http://www.pinehurst.com/" target="_blank">Pinehurst</a>. Same goes with lodging. However big or small the party is, there’s a Four Diamond-rated hotel, villa or condo available to house the crew. If it’s southern hospitality that you’re looking for, you’re in the right place. Just don’t wait until the U.S. Open Championships in 2014 to visit.
(Image: Pinehurst Resort)
- <strong>Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort </strong> <br> It’s no surprise that this luxury resort’s rainforest location has avid golfers ready to putt on its 6,698 yards; 18-hole course donned <a href="http://www.golflaiguana.com/golf/hotels/hotel-information/travel/sjols-los-suenos-marriott-ocean-and-golf-resort/" target="_blank">La Iguana Golf Course</a>. When you’re not appreciating the view on the course, grab a signature Costa Rican dish of gallo pinto or glass of horchata at one of the location’s several eateries. Remember: you’re not limited to the resort, take a self-guided tour of your current home away from home.
(Image: Marriott International, Inc.)
- <strong>Choose from five locations surrounding Golf at Punta Espada in Cap Cana </strong> <br> Located on the eastern tip of the Dominican Republic, this tourist it-spot makes for a relaxing yet eventful vacation. Based on your preferences, choose one of five (or more) places— <a href="http://www.secretsresorts.com/sanctuary/" target="_blank">Secrets Sanctuary</a>, <a href="http://www.hotel-rn.com/hw/a309309/index.htm?lbl=ggl" target="_blank">Caletón Villas</a>, Golden Bear Lodge, <a href="http://www.edenroccapcana.com/" target="_blank">Eden Roc</a>, and <a href="http://www.grandresortsatcapcana.com/punta-cana-villa-ownership.php" target="_blank">Fishing Lodge</a> (open October 2011). As for golf, Punta Espada is recognized as the best golf course in the Caribbean and Mexico. This par 72 course hosted the PGA Tour’s Champions Tour in 2008.
(Image: Punta Espada Golf Club, Cap Cana)
- <a href="http://www.doralresort.com/" target="_blank"><strong> </strong></a><strong><a href="http://www.doralresort.com/" target="_blank">Doral Golf Resort & Spa</a> </strong> <br> Do you plan to meet us in Miami this Labor Day weekend? <a href="http://www.blackenterprise.com/gt/">The Black Enterprise Pepsi Golf and Tennis Challenge</a> is going down September 1-5. <br> <br> The award-winning resort has a wide variety of activities for children and adults. Parents, after dropping the kiddies off at Camp Doral, enjoy the resort’s five championship courses, go for a game of tennis, or just hangout poolside. Those who need to brush up on their skills can attend Jim McLean’s Golf School, while those looking to just chill can get rejuvenated at the spa. Don’t miss out!
(Image: Doral Golf Resort & Spa)