Michael Brown’s Parents Plan to Take Case To United Nations

Advocates pushing for 'global movement against excessive force by law enforcement'

(Image: File)
(Image: File)

The harrowing events involving 18-year-old Michael Brown and Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson have gripped the world similar to the loss of Trayvon Martin.

Still dealing with the death of their child, Brown’s parents Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown, Sr., plan to travel to Geneva, Switzerland to discuss their son’s case with members of the United Nations Committee Against Torture. Alongside Brown’s parents will be human rights attorneys and Ferguson activists.

The goal of all parties is to present a formal brief to the U.N. convention about the tragic event in Ferguson, Missouri. Justin Hansford, a Saint Louis University Law professor, co-wrote the brief and in it expresses hope for a “global movement against excessive force by law enforcement and international recognition that police violated human rights in their interactions with protesters.”

Hansford said, “We cross our fingers that it’ll be something that will influence decision-makers to take a more peaceful, more preventative approach as opposed to a more militarized approach to responding to peaceful protests.” The issue in Ferguson is a hot button topic as the grand jury is soon to announce whether or not they will indict Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown.

Anthony Gray, who serves as the Brown family attorney, confirmed that Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown, Sr. are going to Geneva. Check out full details of the trip and more on the push get the case to the U.N. by clicking here.

7 Responses to Michael Brown’s Parents Plan to Take Case To United Nations

1. “BLACK THUGS are being reminded to follow the LAW in FERGERSON, MISSOURI”

We don’t want anymore BLOODSHED over this matter!

FERGERSON GRAND JURY instructed to DROP all CHARGES against …

Everyone knows that DARREN WILSON is a GREAT LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER and that if MICHAEL BROWN hadn’t ROBBED a STORE and ASSAULTED a STORE CLERK, none of this would have ever HAPPENED!

• LovesAmerica says:

Ghetto blacks will probably riot and loot just like before, and if they do, the Governor needs to give the order to shoot to kill.

• Rivka says:

What, are you going around to every website with this article and spewing this stuff? I’m white and you make me ashamed with your racism.

• Rivka says:

Campaigning for governor of Louisiana? HAHAHA. Must be a joke. The days of Wallace and Long are gone, and you would never stand a chance. Please stay put in the racist hellhole of America? Thank you.

2. LovesAmerica says:

And while Michael Brown’s parents are in Geneva, Switzerland, have them also represent Antonia West, the 13 month old child who was shot point blank in the face by 2 black teens.

Don’t recognize me? That’s OK, I understand.
    My name was Antonio West. I was the 13-month
    old child who was shot in the face at point blank range by two black teens, who
    were attempting to rob my mother, who was also shot. I think my murder and my
    mommy’s wounding made the news for maybe a day, and then disappeared.
    A Grand Jury of my mommy’s peers from
    Brunswick, Georgia ruled the black teens who murdered me will not face the
    death penalty… too bad it was me who got the death sentence from my killers
    instead, because Mommy didn’t have the money they demanded.
    See, my family made the mistake of being white
    in a 73% non-white neighborhood, but my murder wasn’t ruled a ‘hate crime’. Oh,
    and President Obama didn’t take a single moment to acknowledge my murder. He
    couldn’t have any children who could possibly look like me – so why should he
    care? I’m one of the youngest murder victims in our great Nation’s history, but
    the media didn’t care to cover the story of my being killed in cold blood.
    There isn’t a white equivalent of Al Sharpton,
    because if there was he would be branded a ‘racist’. So no one’s rushing to
    Brunswick, Georgia to demonstrate and demand ‘justice’ for me. There’s no
    ‘White Panther’ party, either, to put a bounty on the lives of the two black
    teens who murdered me. I have no voice, I have no representation, and unlike
    those who shot me in the face while I sat innocently in my stroller – I no
    longer have my life.
    Isn’t this a great country, or what?
    So while you’re out seeking ‘justice for
    Trayvon or Michael Brown’, please remember to seek ‘justice’ for me. Tell your
    friends about me, tell your families, get tee-shirts with my face on them, and
    make the world pay attention, just like you did for Trayvon and Michael Brown.
    I won’t hold my breath. I don’t have to
    Antonio West

3. A Friend says:

Ridiculous. Who arranged for this and who is paying for it?

4. Rivka says:

My heart goes out to Michael Brown’s parents,. truly. I mean that. I have a hard time getting the images out of my mind of him taking what he wanted from that store, and then advancing in a threatening manner on the clerk who tried to stop him from stealing. Michael behaved in a way that indicated he was comfortable with stealing and had done it before. There wasn’t even any looking around to see if someone was watching, or an attempt to be sneaky about it. Michael’s size was intimidating, and we saw him use intimidation. Does that mean he deserved to die for it? Absolutely not. Did Michael advance on the officer? Didn’t the ME’s report say he was shot at close range? Did he place himself close to the officer? And if so, were threats made? Did he reach for the the officer’s gun? What if Officer Wilson truly believed he was in danger? What if he was in danger? No one will ever know exactly what happened in the last few seconds of Michael’s life. The sad thing is that the wholesale slaughter of young black men in this country seems to have blinded the eyes of blacks to the potential truth that Michael Brown could well have threatened and intimidated Officer Wilson and reached for the officer’s weapon. It could have been justified. I am not saying it was, I have no clue. I don’t know. Does anyone really know??