Akon Plans To File Defamation Lawsuit Against Suge Knight For Sexual Assault Allegation
On his “Collect Call with Suge Knight” podcast on Oct. 29, jailed former Death Row Records owner Suge Knight accused Akon and producer Detail of sexually assaulting two teenage girls. Now, Akon, who denied the accusation, is consulting with his legal team in pursuit of a defamation lawsuit.
According to Complex, the “Locked Up” singer is planning to pursue litigation based on what he says are false allegations of him raping underage girls in the studio. Knight stated that the Senegalese-American singer had allegedly sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl and Detail had done the same with a 12-year-old girl. Knight claimed that the 13-year-old was the younger sister of one of his female associates, and the 12-year-old was the best friend of the other minor.
— Keith Frank (@KeithFrank31) October 28, 2023
Akon initially responded to the above post to dispute the story Knight told on the podcast:
The world knows a lie when they hear it. It’s unfortunate that this man is going out like this. It’s sad and seriously embarrassing. Regardless of our history, I’m still going to be praying for him. 🙏🏾
— AKON (@Akon) October 29, 2023
The songwriter sent a letter to the media outlet with plans to sue the incarcerated Knight based on the allegations.
“I need to make it very clear that I absolutely deny these outrageous false and disgusting claims Suge Knight made on his podcast about me. I‘ve never called, received, or had any contact with Suge Knight since he has been incarcerated,” the letter read.
Akon also said that the voice clip Knight used in his podcast was from a previously recorded interview Akon had done with DJ Vlad three years ago.
“My voice you heard on his podcast was a soundbite previously recorded from an interview I did with DJ Vlad 3 years ago regarding Suge Knight in 2009. I’ve never been a guest on Suge Knight’s podcast. I always believe in building positivity into the world and my actions and legacy have spoken to that. It’s unfortunate that I have to defend myself from these lies and I will be involving my legal team in filing a defamation lawsuit against Mr. Knight, my prayers for him will still continue,” Akon stated.
The incarcerated Knight is serving a 28-year prison sentence after pleading no contest to voluntary manslaughter in 2018 in connection to the 2015 hit-and-run death of Terry Carter.