*BACK TO BLACK HISTORY MONTH HOMEPAGE > CLICK HERE
On every single day of Black History Month this February, we will provide you with a daily fact that occurred on the same day in a past year in history.
Today’s Black History Month facts focus on CBS commentator Andy Rooney and actor Gary Coleman.
– In 1944 on this day, Harry S. McAlphin became the first black accredited to attend a White House press conference.
– In 1968 on this day, actor Garey Coleman was born.
– In 1978 on this day, Leon Spinks defeated Muhammad Ali for the heavyweight title.
– In 1986 on this day, Oprah became the first black woman to host a nationally syndicated talk show.
– In 1990 on this day, former CBS commentator Andy Rooney was suspended for racist comments about African Americans. Here was his quote: “I’ve believed all along that most people are born with equal intelligence, but blacks have watered down their genes because the less intelligent ones are the ones that have the children. They drop out of school early, do drugs, and get pregnant.”