*BACK TO BLACK HISTORY MONTH HOMEPAGE > CLICK HERE
On every single day of Black History Month this February, we will provide you with a daily fact that occurred on the same day in a past year in history.
Today’s Black History Month facts focus on abolition and Nat King Cole.
– On this day in 1968, Henry Lewis becomes the first African American to lead a symphony orchestra in the United States.
– On this day in 1965, singer and pianist Nat King Cole died in Santa Monica, California.
– On this day in 1964, musician Louis Armstrong’s “Hello Dolly” becomes his first number one record.
– On this day in 1851, black abolitionists invaded a Boston courtroom and rescued a fugitive slave.
– On this day in 1804, New Jersey began to abolish slavery.