As some of you may know, the Baltimore African American Festival will take place June 21st and 22nd in Baltimore, Maryland at the Camden Yards Sports & Entertainment Complex. There will be 7 amazing acts performing throughout. Brandy, Deitrick Haddon, Monifa, Johnny Gill, Jacob Latimore, Chico DeBarge and Mint Condition are scheduled to electrify the stage for your enjoyment.
Perhaps you may not know all you thought you knew about some of the performers, maybe you do. Today, we’ll focus on 1 of them.
Either way, here are 10 facts about Brandy.
1. Brandy’s full name is Brandy Rayana Norwood.
2. Brandy is not only the older sister of singer/actor Ray J, but, she is also a first cousin of Snoop Dogg.
3. Although Brandy’s first love is singing, she was first known to the world as an actress in the short-lived TV series, Thea.
4. Yet, before she stepped in front of the television cameras or even started recording her own debut album, Brandy did background vocals for the group, Immature, which was led by Marques ‘Batman’ Houston.
5. In 1996, Brandy was a prom date at Lower Merion High School in Ardmore, Pennsylvania for current Los Angeles Lakers, Kobe Bryant.
6. You may have seen Brandy, Ray J and their parents on their VH1 reality series, Brandy and Ray J: A Family Business, but did you know they also released a compilation album titled, A Family Business?
7. Both Erykah Badu and Rihanna have publicly stated that Brandy and her music had an influence on their careers.
8. Although her television show, Moesha, was shown on the UPN channel, it was originally bought by CBS.
9. She was initially supposed to star in the Queen Latifah/Jada Pinkett-helmed, ‘Set It Off’ but turned the role down.
10. She was once managed by Jay-Z’ Roc Nation management firm.