How to Get Away with Murder fans were pleasantly surprised last night when the mother of lead character Annalise Keaton (Viola Davis), Ophelia, arrived and turned out to be none other than the Emmy-winning Cicely Tyson. In the episode, appropriately titled “Mama’s Here Now,” Ophelia steals the show and reaffirms why Tyson is one of Hollywood’s most celebrated actresses.
Nothing likeÂ your Clair Huxtable, Ophelia takes more of straight-shot-no-chaser approach to her parenting method, and Tyson’s portrayal of the matriarch was a big win.
– Debbie Allen (@msdebbieallen) February 20, 2015
– shonda rhimes (@shondarhimes) February 20, 2015
Social media was abuzz, and watchers confirmed what we already knew—Tyson, who was recently honored with a Legacy Award at Black Enterprise’s Women of Power Summit, has still got it. Black Enterprise bestowed Tyson the honor last year, recognizing her outstanding impact, achievement and leadership in the arts. The Women of Power Legacy Award is one of many honors for Tyson, as she’s also taken home multiple Emmy, SAG and Tony awards.
Check out more reactions to her entry on the show below:
– 107.5 WBLS FM (@WBLS1075NYC) February 20, 2015
– JenellBStewart (@BlakIzBeautyful) February 20, 2015
– ShereÃ¨ Whitfield (@IamSheree) February 20, 2015
– Michael W. Douglas (@MichaelOnMedia) February 20, 2015