It’s Yours, Claim It!

Unclaimed financial assets such as inheritances, tax refunds, or money from previous bank accounts or employers may be waiting for you or someone you know.
For instance, P. Taylor of Florida claimed more than $3,000 this year after receiving a letter that stated she might be entitled to unclaimed property. Taylor says she was “very excited and a little nervous” when she found out that she was due back pay from her 25-year tenure as a Walgreens’ employee.

In most cases, properties abandoned between three to five years are transferred from holders (insurance companies, banks, etc.) to government agencies.

To search for funds, go to www.miss, which has a national database to access all statesa, or www, the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators’ Website.

Since claims can emanate from several sources, the IRS may have funds that belong to you. According to the IRS Media Relations Office in Washington, D.C., those who may not have an obligation to file a federal tax return may still be entitled to funds from the Earned Income Tax Credit or from over withholding. However, if they don’t file a tax return, their refund will be lost. In order to claim any refund, a tax return must be filed within three years of the original due date. Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 or log on to and click on a link reading “Where’s My Refund?” Undeliverable refund checks, for this year alone, totaling $67.4 million await more than 90,000 taxpayers.

To ensure you receive funds owed to you, follow this checklist:

  • Notify companies of a change of address.
  • Keep accurate financial records.
  • Make deposits or withdrawals from bank accounts at least once a year.
  • Cash all checks promptly.
  • Fill out a U.S. Postal Service Official Change of Address form prior to moving.
  • Inform an attorney, confidante, financial advisor, or family member about the whereabouts of financial papers.

Search the Web for Unclaimed Property
National Credit Union Association Administration unclaimed.html
When a credit union is liquidated, some share accounts remain unclaimed. Check here to see if you’re owed funds.

Pension Guarantee Benefits
This site has a Pension Search Directory for undelivered pension plan benefits.
Housing and Urban Development refunds/fhafact.cfm
HUD recipients may be eligible for a refund of a portion of a mortgage insurance premium.

U.S. Postal Service
To track missing contents, you can file a claim for indemnity or file a Mail Loss/ Rifling Report at your local post office.