September 17, 2016
BE Modern Man: Fun Ways to Sack Childhood Obesity
According to the CDC, about one in every five children in the United States is obese. National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month provides us with an opportunity to learn more about ways that we can combat and prevent this serious health concern.
Childhood obesity is influenced by many factors. For many children and families, this includes too much time spent in sedentary activities. One of the biggest but easiest culprits is the use of technology. Today, children and adolescents spend an average of nearly eight hours a day using a combination of computers, televisions, video game consoles, cell phones, and tablets. More often than not, that time could easily be replaced with interpersonal activities, outdoor play, or sports.
Parental role modeling is the dominating factor in the health and wellness of children. Parents who engage in higher levels of sedentary behaviors are more likely to have children who also engage in sedentary behaviors. The opposite holds true for parents who engage in health-centered activities. Parents are key influencers in the health of children, so here are a few activities that BE Modern Men can enjoy with their families.
1. Playing basketball is a fun way to exercise, and also allows fathers and their children to form connections.
2. A neighborhood family stroll is a relaxing activity where kids can be free. You can meet neighbors and familiarize your whole family with the community layout.
3. An outdoor hike with the family opens up everyone to the possibility of discovering new things along the adventure. It is a fun way to get in exercise without even thinking about it. Being outdoors can also elevate your mood, and rid you of life’s many stressors.
4. A family bike ride is fun, fast and gives your children a sense of independence.
5. Family football in the fall is a fun way to enjoy the family unit in a competitive way; pick teams, communicate, and score!
It’s our normal to be extraordinary. Follow @blackenterprise and join the BE Modern Man conversation using #BEModernMan.