Obama Encourages Egyptian President to Step Down
- After weeks of civil unrest, Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak announced he will not be running for another term during elections in the fall. He will, however, continue to serve out his current term. The announcement came after President Obama advised the leader of America’s closest Arab ally not to run.
- The decision comes a day after Egypt’s largest protest in support of Mubarak’s exit.
White House Announces ‘Startup America’
- The White House recently announced a national campaign involving several government agencies, including the Small Business Administration, universities, foundations and corporations, such as Facebook, Google, Intel and IBM to spur growth in entrepreneurship. The initiative will be overseen by AOL co-founder Steve Case.
- Most of the partner commitments deal with designing workshops for current business owners, funding new businesses and bringing entrepreneurship courses to higher education.
New York Daily News Appoints First Black Managing Editor
- Robert Moore has ascended the ranks at the New York Daily News; from staff writer to deputy managing editor to the newspaper’s first-ever African American managing editor.
- “He’s the perfect example of hard work paying off,â€ says Michael Feeney, staff writer for the Daily News. “He’s diligently worked his way up the ladder at the News. I hope to follow in his footsteps.”
- Moore is credited with drawing Black journalists to the NYC-based paper.
Raven-SymonÃ© Making TV Comeback
- The That’s So Raven actress is making the transition from a cable staple back to network television with the announcement of her upcoming ABC Family sitcom, The Great State of Georgia. After starring in a Disney Channel hit, Raven is back on the small screen playing Georgia, a southern performer who attempts to make a name for herself in The Big Apple.
For related content, read:
- In the News: Turmoil in Egypt Continues; Martin Luther King IIIÂ Addresses Mets Rumors; Vick’s New Deal
- In the News: Mandela Released From Hospital; Will Smith & Jay-Z in Business; Egypt Can’t RT
- In the News: Will.I.Am Inks Tech Deal; Single Mom Jailed; Fired for Football