The 2011 Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference + Expo, hosted by Nationwide, will feature a new event this year: Speed networking. This May 22-25, small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs will gather in the Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel to gain the important tools needed to succeed in business.
Speed Networking is a creative way for entrepreneurs to meet substantial business contacts, secure referrals, and network in a friendly uplifting environment in a mere matter of hours. Facilitated by public relations expert Karen Taylor Bass, the entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to have face time with all attendees as they make their pitches/brief introductions (no longer that 2 minutes) to each other during Speed Networking.
To prepare, Bass offers you the following advice for speed networking participants:
- Prepare a smart and succinct 2 minutes brand pitch — engage your colleague and promote your expertise
- Listen — often a lost art-form, however, the best way to communicate and learn
- Collect business cards and meet new colleagues
- Engage, promote, and be the brand you want to be
- Take notes – New Business contacts (write down key words to remember person for follow-up)
- Work the room during the reception to get out of your comfort zone
- Follow-up with all potential contacts and referrals within 48 hours
- Poor Pitch — Make certain your pitch is interesting and include: name, company, title, tag line (what your business is known for), target audience, your niche and accolades
- Lack of confidence — Believe in your brand each and every time
- No follow-up — It is reported that 90% of business leads are not procured
Want to join Karen for a speed networking session? Meet us in Atlanta at Black Enterprise’s Entrepreneurs Conference May 22-25, 2011. Visit blackenterprise.com/ec for more details. As an incentive BE is offering you a discount on early registration: Just enter code BEDG295 and receive $200 off.
Karen Taylor Bass, The PR Expert, provides entrepreneurs, corporations, and mompreneurs with essential branding, marketing, and public relations coaching; www.karentaylorbass.com and www.taylormademediapr.com. Follow her on Twitter