Page: 1 2
In its eighth year, the Black Enterprise Women of Power Summit focused on getting women to not only meet the challenges of industry, but to maximize professional and personal opportunities. With the support of sponsors including Statefarm, EMC, Pepsico and Lincoln, more than 700 women congregated at the Waldorf Astoria in Orlando, Florida, in February to participate in a variety of executive leadership workshops. Here is just a sampling of the strategies offered.
The Future is Now! Optimizing Your Digital Strategy
Panelists: Marve Frazier, Chief Creative Officer, Moguldom Media Group; Portia Brown, Account Manager, Digital Media Consultant, Google Inc; Marlon D. Cousin, Managing Partner, The Marquin Group; Moderator: Patricia CÃ©saire, Principal, The CÃ©saire Groupe L.L.C.
- We are not corporations, but we should have the same approach. Social media allows a recruiter to “get under the hoodâ€ beyond the rÃ©sumÃ©. Ultimately we should be creating something the recruiter wants to buy.
- Recruiters don’t distinguish between digital platforms. Many people use Facebook for family and friends and see LinkedIn as a professional site, but recruiters use all information to build their professional impression.
- Because recruiters are increasingly using social media to source talent, make sure you don’t allow a “friend’sâ€ postings to set the narrative on your platform.
She’s Got Game: Lessons from Women in Sports
Panelists: Wendy Lewis, SVP Diversity and Strategic Alliances, Major League Baseball; Kerry D. Chandler, EVP Human Resources, National Basketball Association; Kathleen T. Francis, Chair and President of the National Board, Women in Sports & Events;
Moderator: Katrina Adams, Vice President, United States Tennis Association
- You have to master your work and work product. Even if you don’t know everything, bring your talent in a strong and demonstrative way.
- The network of other women is essential to progress. In the sports industry it is unwritten but expected that you help and support other women. Women should be sourcing other women to mentor.
- Bring your authentic self. The best of who you are will be reflected in the work you do.
(Continued on next page)
Page: 1 2