4 Vital Tax Tips For After You Say ‘I Do’

The IRS wants you to be aware of the tax issues that accompany marriage. They offer the following tips for minimizing any issues that might come along:

  1. The names and Social Security numbers on your tax return need to match your Social Security Administration records. Any name changes should be reported to the Social Security Administration. You can do this by filing Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card.
  2. Don’t forget to submit a new Form W-4 to your employer. Also know that the combination of you and your spouse’s income will likely put you in a higher tax bracket. Consult Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax for details.
  3. Update your address. This might seem like common sense, but it’s easy to forget amidst all the wedding planning. You can let the IRS know about your address change by filing Form 8822.
  4. Make sure your filing status is correct. Know that if you are married by December 31, that is considered your marital status for the entire year.

Visit the IRS website for more on this topic.