U.S. Chamber of Commerce Issues Agenda to Close Race-Based Opportunity Gaps

U.S. Chamber of Commerce Issues Agenda to Close Race-Based Opportunity Gaps


The U.S. Chamber of Commerce released its initial Equality of Opportunity Agenda, calling for immediate, bold actions to close race-based opportunity gaps.

According to a July 9 release by The Chamber, the agenda calls for bold policy actions in four areas: education, employment, entrepreneurship, and criminal justice. The Chamber added in its release, each of the areas perpetuates broader inequalities in our society, hold back individual and business success, and hinder economic growth.

Earlier this year the Chamber reported a quarter of small businesses may close due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Chamber will provide draft legislation to support legislative efforts and guide the discussion addressing the goals of the agenda. The national agency will also work with its state and local affiliates, business associations, agencies, and policymakers to advance legislative action and enact the agenda’s stated policy changes.

“Closing opportunity gaps will require a large-scale, coordinated effort bringing together businesses of all sizes and sectors, leaders at the local, state, and federal levels, and academic and nonprofit partners,” said Suzanne P. Clark, president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. “Two weeks ago, we convened the business community to listen and learn—now it’s time to act. We believe the business community can serve as a catalyst for addressing these longstanding, systemic challenges.

The recommendations concerning education and employment include supporting more equitable funding, improving accountability and transparency in education. The Chamber also recommended promoting college and career readiness, promoting diversity in corporate leadership throughout the workforce and encouraging impactful investment and job training programs in low-income areas.

When it comes to entrepreneurship and criminal justice reform, the recommendations includes improving access to capital and entrepreneurial resources for Black-owned businesses. Increasing supply chain diversity and reducing barriers to licenses and certifications and improving educational opportunities for incarcerated populations.

Rick Wade, the vice president of strategic alliances and outreach at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce told Black Enterprise the Chamber is taking real action in closing racial gaps in business, education, wealth and criminal justice reform.

“We all have a role to play in advancing equality of opportunity. Strengthening Black-owned businesses is critical to creating a more inclusive economy. I am thrilled that the U.S. Chamber, the largest business advocacy organization in the world, is not just talking, but taking real action towards lasting change in America.”

Alabama Native Walks 1,000 Miles From Alabama To Minnesota For Social Justice

Alabama Native Walks 1,000 Miles From Alabama To Minnesota For Social Justice


The ongoing protests over police brutality and racial injustice have inspired individuals to do their own acts of solidarity. Earlier this week, a 35-year old man named Terry Willis completed a 1,000-mile walk from his hometown of Hunstville, Alabama to the site where George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis back in May.

The entrepreneur and father felt a personal responsibility to his son and family to do something in light of the current events. Willis began his journey in early June and has chronicled his journey through social media, including his Facebook blog which has amassed over 39,000 followers.

Along his run, he made detours to other cities to pay respect to other victims of police brutality including Breonna Taylor in Louisville and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. Willis has garnered fans both on social media and in real life who have shown support for his trek.

“It made me feel a plethora of mixed emotions: angry, frustrated, confused, sad,” he said on social media, according to NPR. “This could’ve been me, my family or friends. I knew I had to do something.”

In addition to the run, Willis is also raising money through GoFundMe to start his own nonprofit to work against police brutality. He has already raised over $40,000 toward his $50,000 goal.

“My organization will teach these individuals a trade that will subsequently allow them to open their own business and employ others,” he wrote on Facebook about his aspirations.

“Society has made individuals with a criminal history and juvenile delinquents feel like they do not deserve a second chance but The Dal House is committed to ensuring that people that society gave up on are given an equal opportunity to turn their lives around by learning a trade.”
Rev. Al Sharpton and National Action Network to March on Washington to Protest Police Brutality

Rev. Al Sharpton and National Action Network to March on Washington to Protest Police Brutality


Reverend Al Sharpton, the National Action Network (NAN), Martin Luther King III, attorney Benjamin Crump and others will lead aCommitment March” to fight for criminal justice reform.

According to the release, the march, titled “Get Your Knee Off Our Necks,” will take place August 28. The march will coincide with the 57th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s March on Washington where he delivered his historic “I Have A Dream” speech.

“We are in the midst of the largest civil and human rights movement in history. Now is the time and this is the generation that can realize the dream my father spoke of 57 years ago,” said Martin Luther King, III. “Black Americans are still bearing the same hardships my father worked to eradicate, and the only way we can hope to see the future he dreamt of is by continuing the peaceful and radical work he began years ago.”

Speakers at the march will include the families of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner to address the loss of Black lives at the hands of police. Additionally, the event will advocate for issues such as police accountability, criminal justice reform, and voter protection.

Protesters and activists will gather at Lincoln Circle to hear the day’s programming before the march to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.

Credentialed media can register for the Commitment March here. Protesters may sign up to receive information on the march here.

“This March on Washington shows our commitment to fighting for the oppressed, the marginalized, the neglected people of this country,” Rev. Al Sharpton said in the release. “We are tired of the mistreatment and the violence that we, as Black Americans, have been subjected to for hundreds of years. Like those who marched before us, we are standing up and telling the police, telling lawmakers, telling the people and systems that have kept us down for years, ‘Get your knee off our necks’.”

Organizations who’ve committed to participating in the march includes the NAACP; National Urban League; the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation; Legal Defense Fund (LDF); and Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Nick Cannon Blasted Over ‘Anti-Semitic Conspiracy Theories and Anti-Jewish Rhetoric’

Nick Cannon Blasted Over ‘Anti-Semitic Conspiracy Theories and Anti-Jewish Rhetoric’


Nick Cannon is being criticized for statements he made during a recent conversation with former Public Enemy member Richard “Professor Griff” Griffin on a June 30 episode of his podcast, Cannon’s Class.

According to Forbes, the discussion between Cannon and Professor Griff was immersed in what is being described as “anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and anti-Jewish rhetoric.” Professor Griff was kicked out of Public Enemy in 1989 because he was accused of making anti-Semitic comments during an interview with the Washington Post.

Cannon said in the interview that “it’s never hate speech; you can’t be anti-Semitic when we are the Semitic people. When we are the same people who they want to be. That’s our birthright.” He also stated that “we are the true Hebrews.”

Through his Facebook account, Canon released this statement after receiving backlash.

“Anyone who knows me knows that I have no hate in my heart nor malice [sic] intentions. I do not condone hate speech nor the spread of hateful rhetoric. We are living in a time when it is more important than ever to promote unity and understanding.

“The Black and Jewish communities have both faced enormous hatred, oppression[,] persecution[,] and prejudice for thousands of years and in many ways have and will continue to work together to overcome these obstacles.

“When you look at The Media, and other sectors in our nation’s history, African Americans and The people of the Jewish community have partnered to create some of the best, most revolutionary work we know today.

“I am an advocate for people’s voices to be heard openly, fairly[,] and candidly. In today’s conversation about anti-racism and social justice, I think we all – including myself – must continue educating one another and embrace uncomfortable conversations – it’s the only way we ALL get better. I encourage more healthy dialogue and welcome any experts, clergy, or spokespersons to any of my platforms to hold me accountable and correct me in any statement that I’ve made that has been projected as negative. Until then, I hold myself accountable for this moment and take full responsibility because My intentions are only to show that as a beautiful human species we have way more commonalities than differences, So [sic] let’s embrace those as well as each other. We All Family!🙏🏾”

Here is the full interview:

British Actress Michaela Coel Turned Down $1 Million Netflix Deal to Keep Creative Control and Ownership of ‘I May Destroy You’


Michaela Coel, in a recent interview with Vulture, says that the BBC One show, I May Destroy You, had interest from streaming giant Netflix before it landed on BBC One. While in negotiations with Netflix, the streaming entity balked at her request for a percentage of the copyright so she turned down their offer for a $1 million deal, according to Popsugar.

Coel is the show’s creator, writer, director, and lead actress. I May Destroy Youoriginally titled January 22nd, is set in London, where gratification is only an app away. The story revolves around Arabella (Coel), a care-free, self-assured Londoner with a group of great friends, a holiday fling-turned aspirational boyfriend in Italy, and a burgeoning writing career. But when she has a drink that is spiked with a date-rape drug, she starts to question and rebuild every element of her life.


In the Vulture interview, she recalls approaching senior-level executives at Netflix for 5% ownership of the series. “There was just silence on the phone,” she said. “And the executive said, ‘It’s not how we do things here. Nobody does that, it’s not a big deal.’ I said, ‘If it’s not a big deal, then I’d really like to have 5% of my rights.'”

Although they didn’t bite at the 5% she sought, they settled at .5 percent, which eventually didn’t come to fruition. She then stated that her persistence was noticed by a Netflix employee who told her, “‘Michaela? I just want you to know I’m really proud of you. You’re doing the right thing.'”

“I remember thinking, I’ve been going down rabbit holes in my head, like people thinking I’m paranoid, I’m acting sketchy, I’m killing off all my agents,” Coel said. “And then she said those words to me, and I finally realized — I’m not crazy. This is crazy.”

She eventually was able to make a deal with BBC/HBO with full creative control, rights to her work, and an executive producer title.

“We’re thrilled to be working with someone as bold and fearless as Michaela, she has created an ultra-contemporary show which explores the issues of her generation with huge compassion, humor, and a raw truthfulness. It’s an incredibly urgent story which the BBC are proud to be telling,” said Piers Wenger, controller of BBC Drama.

White Radio Host Loses Job After Harassing Spanish-Speaking Workers in New Hampshire

White Radio Host Loses Job After Harassing Spanish-Speaking Workers in New Hampshire


A white woman and MAGA activist has been fired from her radio hosting gig in New Hampshire after a viral video revealed her harassing a group of Hispanic landscaping workers because they were speaking Spanish, according to CNN.

Dianna Ploss, now the former host of The Dianna Ploss Show on WSMN 1590, was heading into the studio in downtown Nashua on July 10 when she came across a group of laborers working along the roadside. As she is live-streaming herself on Facebook, she asks if any of them are undocumented immigrants.

“It’s America. You should be speaking English,” she says in the video. “Is anybody here illegal? Are these guys illegal?”

If this wasn’t bad enough, Ploss repeatedly shouted “English” at the crew, which was simply doing its job.

After the video went viral, WSMN 1590 released a statement acknowledging that Ploss no longer is employed by the station

“Dianna Ploss is no longer associated or affiliated in any way with WSMN or Bartis-Russell Broadcasting, LLC. We at WSMN value freedom of speech, freedom of expression and assembly. We will not tolerate discrimination,  racism or hatred. We continue to present and offer on air opportunities for discussion, education and the exchange of opinions and ideas.”

Morin’s Landscaping, Inc., the landscaping company whose employees Ploss harrassed, made a statement on its Facebook page.

Chance the Rapper Questions ‘Why Joe Biden Would Be Better’ Than Kanye West as President


Billionaire rapper and businessman Kanye West recently announced via Twitter that he is running for the office of the President of United States, although he hasn’t filed any paperwork to make it official. In addition to the support of his wife Kim Kardashian West and tech magnate Elon Musk, fellow Chicago artist Chance the Rapper has “endorsed” West over the present Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden.

Chance, through his Twitter account, publicly supported voting West into office. After West released his latest song, DONDA, which is dedicated to his late mother, and brought attention to the song via Twitter, Chance took that opportunity to ‘endorse’ West.


Even asking his followers and fellow Twitter users if Biden would be better than President Trump.

Chance continued throughout the day asking pertinent questions seemingly trying to weigh the reactions and comments on his support of West and the temperature of people’s mindset toward the upcoming election.

Chance also weighed in on the responses he received on the topic of this election.

And then finally, he admitted that West winning the White House is improbable.

 

 

Florida Police Officer Charged With Assault After Pointing Gun at Black Man’s Head for Not Giving His Name

Florida Police Officer Charged With Assault After Pointing Gun at Black Man’s Head for Not Giving His Name


A police officer in Florida has been terminated and charged with assault after he held his weapon to a Black man’s head who was already handcuffed. He then threatened to kill him for not giving the officer his name, according to The Root.

Sgt. Janak Amin, of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, was fired on Friday and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he threatened the life of a man who was already in police custody. It was reported that he was quickly terminated due to being reported by his fellow officers after the incident.


Officer.com reported that Amin pointed his gun at the unidentified Black man who had left a mental health facility, DACCO Behavioral Health Center after he was mistakenly left there after leaving an HCSO detention center. The man was then taken into custody but refused to give his name to the police officers and during the incident, police said, Amin pulled out his gun and “threatened (the man’s) life.”

“The individual in custody was not armed and made no aggressive actions toward any Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputies,” police stated. Other police officers who were there were able to “de-escalate” the situation and identify the man.

“There is no question, this incident is detestable and not representative of who we are as a law enforcement agency,” Sheriff Chad Chronister said in a written statement.

“The almost 4,000 men and women of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office are so very proud to serve and protect the community. When a member of our team breaks the oath they have taken and the law, it erodes the sacred trust we have with the community that we have worked so. hard to earn. As your Sheriff, I will always fight for and protect victims and peruse lawbreakers, even if it’s one of our own. I want to also commend the deputies who came forward to immediately came forward to report this most egregious act. While I know it was difficult to do so, this is the type of transparency we must have as a law enforcement agency, whose mission is to serve, protect and defend the community while preserving the rights and dignity of all.”

NFL Hall Of Famer Tony Dungy Criticizes Don Lemon For Stating Jesus ‘Was Not Perfect’


After CNN’s Don Lemon stated, on air, that “Jesus Christ admittedly was not perfect when he was here on this earth,” NFL Hall of Fame player and coach Tony Dungy took to his Twitter account to criticize Lemon last week, according to The Blaze.

Dungy was clearly not happy with what Lemon said as indicatedd in this Twitter post.


A Twitter user responded to Dungy by stating that “you gotta be real that a lot of stuff didn’t make it into the Bible due to human interference.”

To which Dungy responded:

Dungy then continued with a bible passage.

Dungy, who was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Feb. 6, 2016, was the first NFL head coach to defeat all 32 NFL teams and was also the youngest assistant coach at age 25 and the youngest coordinator at age 28 in NFL history. Dungy was also the first Black head coach to win the Super Bowl as coach of the Indianapolis Colts when they defeated the Chicago Bears in 2007.

×